Issues since 20200907 Firmware upgrade

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
InTheBoilerRoom

Issues since 20200907 Firmware upgrade

Post by InTheBoilerRoom »

Ever since I upgraded my firmware on my HDHomeRun Connect DUO do 20200907, I have been having issues watching on my FireTV sticks. I have one FireTV stick in the living room and one in the bedroom, and I have similar symptoms on both.

1. While watching live TV, the broadcast will frequently stutter, then the audio and video will fall out of sync, with the video typically lagging the audio by as much as a second or two.
2. I have also had the stream just completely freeze on me. That has happened while watching live TV and while watching a recording.
3. While recording two programs at once, I cannot tune in one of the channels that is being recorded. I get the message that no tuners are available. I have to resort to watching from the recording. This never used to be a problem. I have also encountered this after I have deleted the active recordings, as if the DVR system still has the tuners locked up, even though it should have stopped recording.

To correct audio/video sync issue, I typically have to rewind or fast forward to fix it, but the stuttering will eventually happen again in a short time. I have tried turning on/off AC3 passthrough with no affect on the issue.

When the stream freezes, I have had to completely restart the app. I have even resorted to clearing the app cache, which seems to have stopped the freezing issue for the time being. I haven't watched enough since clearing app cache data to be convinced that the freezing problem is corrected.

One of my FireTV sticks is connected via ethernet, while the other is wifi. That does not appear to make any difference in any of the behavior. My recordings are made on an HDHomeRun SERVIO.

HDHomeRun Connect device ID is 10436B99.

InTheBoilerRoom

Re: Issues since 20200907 Firmware upgrade

Post by InTheBoilerRoom »

The stuttering and video freezing has only gotten worse, and I have not received a response on my support ticket and no comments here. Are no other people experiencing this problem since the firmware update? I can't even use my HDHomeRun anymore, it is so bad. I even tried using the new app for LG TVs, wondering if it was limited to the FireTV sticks, but no, same problems there, as well. This is clearly a hardware/firmware problem. And I have the same problems now whether watching live TV or watching a recording.

I recently added a Servio, and things also really started getting worse after that was added to my system. I'm starting to wonder if it's part of the problem, too. I have been using HDHomeRun equipment for over a decade, and have been using the DVR for a few years now, and I have never experienced horrible functionality like this before. And the lack of support from SiliconDust is also unusual.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

InTheBoilerRoom wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:56 am The stuttering and video freezing has only gotten worse, and I have not received a response on my support ticket and no comments here.
I'm very sorry about that, I found your support ticket and it looks like I didn't read the full message and thought the issue had been resolved. I've reopened the ticket and will respond now.

engene7

Post by engene7 »

I am having similar issues on my HD HomeRun hardware.
The last two firmware builds suffer this - freezing, especially after audio is muted.
It is very obvious, and make HD HomeRun impossibel to use...

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

engene7 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:45 am I am having similar issues on my HD HomeRun hardware.
The last two firmware builds suffer this - freezing, especially after audio is muted.
It is very obvious, and make HD HomeRun impossibel to use...
If audio muting is causing issues then it might be the HDHomeRun app, rather than the firmware. I think you opened a support ticket as well, or maybe more than one person is reporting an issue when muted. Is this on Windows?

engene7

Post by engene7 »

Yes, that is me that opened the ticket.
And yes, it is on windows.
Muting seems to make the freezing more prevalent, but it happens without muting too.