Install HD Homerun on NAS Vs Servio?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Davidki

Install HD Homerun on NAS Vs Servio?

Post by Davidki »

I have several NAS devices set up on our home network and Now I"m at a cross road... I have been using my Quatro tuner and a personal computer with an external HDD to run my DVR recordings... it's working fine even great... so when I saw the Servio product I thought maybe use this and by pass the current set up... but then I stared to read about the use of the DVR service and one of my Wd NAS units. I'm trying to understand about using one of the NAS does that mean that I would not need my computer and external hard drives? Is the HDHOMERUN and DVR software all installed on the NAS and run from there? It's not quite specific or I just don't understand how it is working.

MY other option is just buying the Servio and connect it up with the DVR software and forget the PC and forget the NAS... Is there anyone else with a similar set up or situation? What's the pro's and cons?

Hope to hear from folks on the set ups..
Dave

PS< I also have Plex and Plex Pass, about a year or so Ago I tried to incorporate Plex Live DVR with my setup but it did't play well with my set up for some reason.. I guess anyone using both PLex and the Homerun DVR service successfully?

shawn_75
Device ID: 151032EF

Re: Install HD Homerun on NAS Vs Servio?

Post by shawn_75 »

I have a SCRIBE which is the SERVIO plus tuners. Bottom line, it just works. I don't even think about it. I've had it since January and the only problem it had to date was after a power outage. It boots much faster than any of my other network equipment, cable modem included. When power returned, it couldn't find an internet connection and couldn't fetch recording tasks. This seems to be a one-shot process on startup and it never checked again after the rest of the network came up. I missed recordings for over a week until I noticed and rebooted it.

Davidki

Post by Davidki »

Shawn, thanks so much for the reply, I am leaning towards the scribe .. I do have to say, the set up I am using now has been working for almost 3 years, it seems to just work... but right now that is the only thing I am using this computer for so I'd be able to just turn it off and use the scribe. Do you transfer videos off the scribe for archiving? Right now, I have a 2TB drive on my PC and the nice thing I could easily upgrade to a larger drive if I want... Can't do that very easily with the scribe... I could off load the videos off my Scribe in to a folder and use my Plex set up to watch them I guess if I need more storage... Thanks again for your reply

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 »

I'm not sure what firmware added it, but on the device webpage for recorded files, they are links. Clicking the link starts a download to my PC. It's a 100Mbps link, so it ain't quick. Putting recordings onto the SCRIBE is a whole other thing that isn't easy, but I don't think that's something you'd be interested in anyway.

Davidki

Post by Davidki »

Again Shawn, thanks for the reply... I record shows like Nova, 60 minutes and documentaries that I like to keep for reference.. right now since it's on my local drive it is easy to just move the file to an archive... I find that if I use File Bot on Windows I can correctly label them per IMDB which makes it nice for archiving. I've been collecting alot on this Covid 19 information and watching as things change from week to week...

Do you know if you do an install on a NAS is it both the program engine and the videos or is it still using the PC for a recording engine and the NAS for storage only? But, if you have to use a PC as the recording engine still that doesn't make much sense to me.... so the Scribe all in one (with my Quatro) makes sense... I do have a subscription to the DVR as well...

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 »

I've never had a NAS and was excitedly awaiting the SCRIBE since it was originally announced as the DUO +. That said, it is my understanding the record engine can be run on the NAS with no need for a PC at all.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

The engine has to run on the machine making the recording, it can't save to a network location as it easily gets confused of what it previously recorded and able to serve new recordings once so many files have been recorded . So if you wish to save to a nas, the engine must run on that nas not on the pc.

Currently one big issue of the scribe/servio vs a nas is it is hard moving stuff to/from a scribe/servio currently to move existing recordings to, you must pop the drive and have something (i.e. linux pc) that supports xfs to read/write to the drive. They are planning an update to allow easier access and the current http method to retrieve isn't too bad if you can stand downloading a multi gig file over a 100Mbps connection.

Davidki

Post by Davidki »

Signcarver, Thanks for the reply and explanation I appreciate it. I have 3 different NAS unites on my system, the oldest being a Iomega - lenovo system they called the IX and IX2 but recently Lenovo dropped support for the units, they still work but I've started to move away from them as main units. I also Have Netgear rn204 (4 drive Nas) which I have had for a few years with 16TB of storage and WD EX4100 NAs that is a little older. But, then again, my set up allows me to use what ever drive size I want to on my system... So Many Choices :-)

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Post by demonrik »

I think the Iomega units are a lost cause..
If I remember right they had either MIPS or some other low power processor around 300-400MHz..

Luckily there are howtos for both the ReadyNAS https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:nas:netgear and the WD https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:nas:wd:multiple
The WD even has an SD App which is probably the better one to get started with.

Once you install the record engine on the NAS it will detect your Quattro, and then present itself to all your client devices.
So need to just stop/remove the engine on your PC and you should be good from there.
Since you already have DVR subscription - it's basically free for you, and you don't have to leave on the PC for recording stuff.

A little more advanced is you can install engines on both the readynas and wd.. And then whichever has the most space at the time of the recording is where the recording will be saved to.
You can control it a little with MaxRecordings in the conf file too if you want to stop the engine recording on one of the NASes.
I have 3 - a QNAP, a Synology and an Asustor and I use one as a recording engine, and the other for long term read only storage once I pull recordings off the recorder, and reencode to save space.

Davidki

Post by Davidki »

demonrik, thanks so much for the information with the links, I'll check them out. I do agree with you about the Iomega.. they have been great units and I've had very little trouble with them.. . but, a couple of weeks ago for some reason something corrupted the network connection to their software... Luckily I had mapped the shares to my pc and I was able to recover everything... I did a complete re install and rebuild but I"m not looking to take a chance ... that's pretty scary to have 7 or 8 TB on a NAS and can't talk to it :-) . I have plenty of space on any of the Netgear or Wd NAS units. I'll check and see which has the better performance.

I have also been pulling the recorded files off the HD Homerun DVR .. I wonder why they use the file format they use I've tried to re encode with Hand Brake or Make MKV but neither recognize the files. My current set up uses a 2TB external HDD, and if I'd get my but up and clean it up it actually plenty of space given I do move the files I want off to one of my NAS and then, I watch the files using PLEX, it see any file format it seems....

Honestly, the Servio seems like a good deal for me right now.. the price is $149 but, since I have to renew my subscription in January I'd have to pay the $35.00 so, that brings the net cost of the Servio $114 for the stand alone 2TB storage - DVR. Tough choice... That way I don't have to do anything with my NAS that is working great right now. I have had a PLex Pass for years, I was reading about their TV - DVR and about 2 years ago I tried to incorporate it but I had all kinds of issues and talking with SD, they said PLex was very aggressive and wanted control... So I just removed the DVR-TV side and use it for only a media server...

I'll look at the NAS information, I glanced at it and it seems like I had to change a bunch of settings... and right now everything is working so well I had to throw a wrench in to it.

I"ll probably be back for more discussions with you ... Thanks for all your help so far.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I had a couple of those old iomegas... from what i remember is they were arm v5 architecture (though I couldn't find any info of the processor listed for it quickly, I did see a cpuinfo from someone who enabled ssh). The issue on the older one was ram and ssh. The newer one had enough ram but enabling ssh one had to know about the diagnostic or support page. The older one could pop the drive(s) and find a file to edit and enable ssh but the ram was a little low but some versions of engine could load on it.

Davidki

Post by Davidki »

signcarver, I"ve pretty much shelved my Ix Iomega-Lenovo Nas units for the time being and have been focusing on my Netgear RN204 (2ea) and my WD Ex4100 units (2ea) all 4 units have 16 TB installed currently. I am using them as storage for my PLex Media server with a Windows based server as the engine...

In the set up under windows 10 and the WD nas it says to turn on SSH (which I have found and it is currently off) But it says to turn it on then turn it off when not using the install program.. Not sure what the SSH is . My concern is always protection, does SSH have anything to do with that, I don't want to open any doors to our system for sure...

The SD Servio does not say what engine it uses and I wonder if it is any better using the NAS (other than with the NAS I'd have more storage space). For the cost of the Servio it my just be worth buying keeping my OTA programs separate from my NAS - Plex System... I hate making changes and the spend days trying to unwind an issue if created :-) I know a couple of years back when I got my Quatro I tried to have PLex look at my files on the server for the HDhomerun drive... that was a nightmare. For my net cost of $114.00 it alleviates a lot of headaches :-)

I don't know why SD would have incorporated the 100mbs ethernet and slow transfer rate... going to 1GB connection would be a real stepup just to transfer the files.. I have a full Cat 6 GB backbone in our house with everything homerun to the router.... it's fast.. . but, then again if you can copy multiple files from the Servio to the PC heck you could hit the transfer button when you go to bed.

Anyway, I'll do a little more reading and see what the best option for us is to do...

What program do you use to re-encode the DVR files, I"ve tried MakeMKV and Handbrake and neither recognize the filles at all...I'd just iike to reencode them to a .264 MKV file when I transfer them off the Hard drive....

Dave