HDHR Prime won't get an IP address from router

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
kkphilli

HDHR Prime won't get an IP address from router

Post by kkphilli »

I switched out an ASUS router with an Amplifi Alien and I am having an issue with one HDHR device. I have 2 HDHR Prime devices and the Alien will not give an IP to one of them. I never had this issue before. I tried connecting through a switch and connected directly to the Alien and it didn't matter. I then hooked up the older Asus router and connected the Prime device and it got an IP easily. If tried for a static ip with MAC address and it still doesn't get an IP address. Has anyone encountered something similar? Any idea what's happening here? Both primes have the latest firmware v. 20200907.

Slarty01

Re: HDHR Prime won't get an IP address from router

Post by Slarty01 »

I have exactly the same issue, always have, I use Unifi network and I can't allocate a fixed IP Strange, Always been an issue. Did you resolve this?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

We are not tracking any issue with getting an IP address.

Would it be possible to run a packet capture from a PC/Mac while it is doing DHCP?

1) Download and install Wireshark: https://www.wireshark.org/

2) Start a packet capture.

3) Set the display filter to "bootp".

4) Unplug and re-plug the ethernet cable to the PRIME. This will force immediate DHCP.

5) Stop and save the capture.

6) Upload to a file service like google drive or dropbox and PM me the public link.

Nick

Slarty01

Post by Slarty01 »

Apologies for the delay, I'll get on that asap!

mnHockeyMama

Post by mnHockeyMama »

I am having the same issue. I recently changed out my router and went to a Ubiquity UniFi solution. Since then, my device will not pull a new IP. I was able to put my old DSL router back into place and start it up and the HDHomerun will then pull an IP just fine. But this doesn't help me because the old and new networks do not share the same subnet.

mnHockeyMama

Post by mnHockeyMama »

Quick update. I finally had the chance this morning to spend more time troubleshooting. It turns out my HDHomeRun device was "blocked" in my Ubiquity network. I simply unblocked and it retrieved an IP.

mnHockeyMama

Post by mnHockeyMama »

Another update: My device pulls an IP and I can view it in My.HDHomerun.com but none of the HDHomeRun apps can find it.

shawn_75
Device ID: 151032EF

Post by shawn_75 »

Look for a setting that might block UPnP or possibly client isolation.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

mnHockeyMama wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:36 am Another update: My device pulls an IP and I can view it in My.HDHomerun.com but none of the HDHomeRun apps can find it.
Enable the mDNS reflector in the controller. The location of the setting may differ based upon the controller version, and if you're still using the old settings page, or the new one. In the new settings page, it's under Advanced Features > Advanced Gateway Settings > mDNS.

The above is the quick and easy way. For a more secure and better method, check out some posts on UI's forum. The following also gives instructions on using mDNS repeater and IGMP snooping, which is probably a better option: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comme ... iscussion/

mnHockeyMama

Post by mnHockeyMama »

Thanks, everyone, for the assistance. I changed some settings as recommended but nothing was working. I ended up moving to a single LAN subnet and SSID and now everything seems to be working.