Single channel freezes on Roku app

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
wirecutter

Single channel freezes on Roku app

Post by wirecutter »

Hi there. My HDHR5-2US is working pretty well except for one odd thing. When watching via the Roku app on a TCL, a single channel (that I have discovered so far) freezes after about 15 seconds. This same channel works fine on my mobile device, and other channels work fine on the Roku app. Any idea what might be going on?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Single channel freezes on Roku app

Post by signcarver »

Roku has a terrible decoder for TV content and and will do such with anything it doesn't like. Luckily there are few ota channels that consistently have such behavior but if you choose to continue to rely on roku, you will have to convince them (roku, as everything plays through its crappy decoder) to fix their decoder or live with such problem. Only possible things for you to do is fix any of your own signal or network issues but I sincerely doubt it is either of those.

Many cable systems will have as much as 90% of their channels not work with the decoder and if you have cable and 50% of the channels work consider yourself lucky.

My suggestion is to stay away from roku for any tv based content.

wirecutter

Post by wirecutter »

Very interesting and helpful. So would running it through Kodi or something similar fix it? Or use a Chromecast maybe?
signcarver wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:22 am
Roku has a terrible decoder for TV content and and will do such with anything it doesn't like. Luckily there are few ota channels that consistently have such behavior but if you choose to continue to rely on roku, you will have to convince them (roku, as everything plays through its crappy decoder) to fix their decoder or live with such problem. Only possible things for you to do is fix any of your own signal or network issues but I sincerely doubt it is either of those.

Many cable systems will have as much as 90% of their channels not work with the decoder and if you have cable and 50% of the channels work consider yourself lucky.

My suggestion is to stay away from roku for any tv based content.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

My preference for something cheap would be an AndroidTV device (not chromecast and that line is going to become terribly blurred soon by the supposed name google will use for Sabrina, I am partial to the Tivo Stream 4k but there have been some updates to that which may or may not work as well as it did (tivo broke hardware decoding, SD fixed by switching to software decoding, tivo may have fixed hardware decoding, last I checked it didn't appear app switched back to hardware decoding so not sure if it was indeed fixed). I'm not sure what kodi would be on that tv without something else running kodi hooked up to that tv. You may still have some issues but at least then things can be looked at and possibly changed by SD such as switching to software decoding or the device releasing another update.

The problem is that anything played through roku must use their video decoder (it is often a little better when the tv itself is the device rather than a roku on it) and what you typically need to get is something that is on another (hdmi) input of the tv.