HDMI to DVB-T on Connect Dual

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
PhillAboodY

HDMI to DVB-T on Connect Dual

Post by PhillAboodY »

So, I don't know the correct place to put this but here it is.

I want to inject a HDMI source into the terrestrial DVB-T signal side of a HDHomeRun Connect Dual Model: HDHR4-2DT.

What I need is a 'DVB-T Modulator' with a HDMI input. Now I have found the hardware that i (think I) need and I was just wondering if someone could take a look and let me know if this bit of hardware will work.

No, I'm not trying to broadcast the HDMI signal to the world (I have been asked this question before) This is for internal network use only. I want a security camera to be accessible from any computer in the house through TV software, also any TV's connected to the same coax network (network of cables not computer network).

This is the device I have found. https://www.auselectronicsdirect.com.au ... -converter

I asked them if it is compatible and I got a non committal 'should be'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-AboodY

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDMI to DVB-T on Connect Dual

Post by signcarver »

It most likely will work but I saw no mention in the manual that it will also inject certain data (I'll call it psip as that is the term I am familiar with but its been years since I had anything to deal with DVB and forget if their's is in the NIT or something else) for the channel so the scan might not pick it up (often a name and number need to be present for the scan to properly pick it up) so depending on software you wish to view such channel, you may be out of luck (the device itself should have no issue but you may need to tell the software to manually tune a certain channel). Often the HDHR will give a "random" virtual channel number if none is present on a channel it finds (number would be in 5000s, considered random as next scan may change the number and/or a 2nd hdhr might use a different number). In some cases, the device may provide such info but the scan is limited to a single source for a particular virtual channel number and unless it is smart enough to change the virtual channel with the number of the physical channel you selected that may become a problem if you wish to install more than 1.

Because of this I would probably look at ones that allow one to add/configure such info, either by onboard lcd screen or serial or other communications port but for some it may offer all you need.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

It looks good on paper.

PhillAboodY

Post by PhillAboodY »

signcarver wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:57 pm
Because of this I would probably look at ones that allow one to add/configure such info, either by onboard lcd screen or serial or other communications port but for some it may offer all you need.
Any chance you have a link to one?
I'm currently using the HDHomeRun software on Windows and Android
nickk wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:05 pm
It looks good on paper.
OK, Thanks.

I guess I will just have to get one and see if it works. Will keep you all updated. Might be a while though.
Thanks

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

A lot of Australian HDHomeRun users are using DVB-T modulators to inject the signal from a Foxtel STB or other source into the signal the HDHomeRun receives. I don't know what specific device since I never got into that side of things, but as signcarver suggests, you should find one that is more configurable. Ideally you would want one that has an option for 7MHz channel spacing on UHF since that is what Australia uses and some things scanning channels might not find the channel otherwise. There's a "Blauhaus" one on eBay that looks like it could have potential.