Endless Rebooting Prime

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
brianm

Endless Rebooting Prime

Post by brianm »

My Prime seems to be endlessly rebooting. I judge this by the hardware lights that always blink and never stay with two steady ones on as usual.

Seems like the thing that was reported a couple of years ago here: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... d_firmware

but that fix isn't working. I also have the latest firmware (or what I believe to be at 20200521)

I'm not sure if the booting process is getting far enough, but it doesn't seem to detect my CableCARD. For all I know, that could be a symptom of the rebooting problem (it doesn't get far enough to initialize it) or it could be creating the problem (causing the reboots) in some way that I don't understand.

I'm on hold with the cable company now to check that the cable card is still active. Wait time is over an hour, so I figure it is worth trying to find the answer here. I don't think it is the cableCARD as it is listed on my cable account.

I've tried unplugging and resetting things numerous times, including my cable modem, router, prime, and computer. I'm not sure how to diagnose further.

Any tips would be appreciated.

brianm

Re: Endless Rebooting Prime

Post by brianm »

I think I'm going to answer my own question on this one. I unplugged it for an hour just to rest. Plugging it back in and nothing lights up. It's like it is getting no power at all.

Now I'm not sure if the Prime or if the power cable is damaged, but I think I'll look at new hardware. I've had this for around 8-9 years I think, so it's time.

brianm

Post by brianm »

And this is where I reply to myself again. Curse 2020 for being 2020 because of course there's no hardware replacement available.

stuartm

Post by stuartm »

Your first step should be to replace the power supply (there are 3rd party ones available and they are also available from SD) as that is the component that usually fails. SD has them for sale here: https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/produ ... e-1-5-amp/ but any PSU with the specs that are listed at that link would work.

brianm

Post by brianm »

Thanks I thought I'd try that with a power supply that I had in the basement for another gadget. I'm not great with the basics of electronics (volts, amps, hertz, etc.), but it seemed to match up all the numbers on the back of the prime adapter.

My Prime started smoking, so I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't fried before, it's fried now.

Looks like I'm onto Ebay to buy one used at inflated prices. Would like to try to modernize away from Windows 7 with a solution because that's going to be the next thing to go.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

brianm wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:10 am
Thanks I thought I'd try that with a power supply that I had in the basement for another gadget. I'm not great with the basics of electronics (volts, amps, hertz, etc.), but it seemed to match up all the numbers on the back of the prime adapter.

My Prime started smoking, so I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't fried before, it's fried now.

Looks like I'm onto Ebay to buy one used at inflated prices. Would like to try to modernize away from Windows 7 with a solution because that's going to be the next thing to go.
Please drop an email to support@silicondust.com - we will help.

Also note that if a power adapter did damage it may have damaged the CableCARD as well.

Nick