HDHR3-CC Prime - No Channel Lineup

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ScottEmery

HDHR3-CC Prime - No Channel Lineup

Post by ScottEmery »

I recently changed my Comcast TV/Internet plan. Prior to this I had two HDHR3-CC's working just fine with a MythTV setup. But when I changed my service plan it appears Comcast has disabled one of my cablecards. I have been through the activation/pairing process online at http://www.xfinity.com/activatecablecard and everything went fine there. The only problem is that one of the HDHR3-CC's can't get the channel lineup or tune any channels (the other HDHR works fine).

I compared the information on the CableCard status pages for the two HDHR's and found this one difference. Does anyone know what the "Con" field in the Conditional Access status page means, and how to change it from "No" to "Yes"?

The working card:

Code: Select all

CableCARD Status
Card Manufacturer	Arris/Motorola
Card Authentication	success
Card Validation	none
3DES encryption	supported
OOB Frequency	75.250 MHz
OOB Lock	2.048 Mbps
Signal Strength	90% (-6.4 dBmV)
Signal Quality	100% (38.5 dB)
Channel List	cablecard-oob

Conditional Access
UnitAddress: 000-03346-14XXX-XXX
Encryption: DES
EMM CSN: 0x2D/2E 09/03/20 16:49
Con: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: ? 0x00
The non-working card:

CableCARD Status
Card Manufacturer	Arris/Motorola
Card Authentication	success
Card Validation	none
3DES encryption	supported
OOB Frequency	75.250 MHz
OOB Lock	2.048 Mbps
Signal Strength	90% (-6.0 dBmV)
Signal Quality	100% (37.4 dB)
Channel List	cablecard-oob

Conditional Access
UnitAddress: 000-00108-95XXX-XXX
Encryption: DES
EMM CSN: 0x2D/2E 09/03/20 16:50
Con: No EBCP: Yes Val: ? 0x02

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHR3-CC Prime - No Channel Lineup

Post by NedS »

Reply back with the Device ID printed on the bottom of the affected HDHomeRun PRIME and I can check the status in our system.

ScottEmery

Post by ScottEmery »

Thanks for offering to help Ned. Here is the model, device id, and firmware version:

Model: HDHR3-CC
Device ID: 13138E5B
Firmware: 20200521 

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

"Card Validation none" and "Val: ?" indicate that pairing/activation hasn't occurred.

You may have to phone your cable provider and ask support to pair the card.

Nick

ScottEmery

Post by ScottEmery »

Nick,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not concerned about DRM protected channels right now. Both of my HDHR's have "Card Validation none" and "Val: ?". But one of them receives a channel lineup and can tune channels, and one of them cannot.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

ScottEmery wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:31 pm
I'm not concerned about DRM protected channels right now. Both of my HDHR's have "Card Validation none" and "Val: ?". But one of them receives a channel lineup and can tune channels, and one of them cannot.
Pairing the card will fix the channel lineup.

One card reporting channels without being paired means it has previously been used on this cable plant.
The process of pairing the card sets the VCI ID which is needed to show channels.
When a card is moved to another device on the same cable system the VCD ID will still be correct so it will still show channels.

You need to call your cable company and pair the card - this will fix the channel lineup.

Nick

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

You had already mentioned the real problem and that was con as without that you have no conditional access and it can't decrypt. You didn't share the screen that indicated if it got the proper vctid and getting oob messages but since you mentioned everything else was exact I would assume it was set properly for your location.

Personally I would settle for nothing less than also getting the card properly validated as the solution is the same and that is getting your provider to properly pair the cablecard.

ScottEmery

Post by ScottEmery »

Just to close this out, I called Comcast and they verified that the cable card had been properly paired to the HDHR, but that there was no "rate code" associated with the card. This prevented the card from being enabled. Turns out that "rate code" was an additional $10 per month for the additional "TV Outlet" being used by the HDHR. Once they added the rate code to the cable card in my account, conditional access was enabled and I can now get a channel lineup and tune channels.

Thank you everyone for your help!