Pixilation and Symbol Quality

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
klaberte

Pixilation and Symbol Quality

Post by klaberte »

I am having severe picture quality and pixilation issues. I have a Prime 3 with a Comcast cable card.

I have uploaded a few examples to this location:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuSZ_f5LkCZ4mkEbAeD ... W?e=YvlSSp

While capturing, I had my HDHomeRun Config GUI tool running (but not viewing), and noticed several occurrences of my Symbol Quality dropping for a short (less than a second) periods of time, to e.g. 50% and seeing that Symbol Quality status bar flash red. Can someone help me in diagnosing/troubleshooting this issue?

On a related note, that Config Gui screen can be seen at https://photos.app.goo.gl/a8jP4pD1L6Dy24V7A. What would I call this channel's virtual channel and physical channel?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Pixilation and Symbol Quality

Post by signcarver »

How did you make your samples as the ones I saw looked like you recorded the physical channel of encrypted streams thus nothing there to look at. (I'm on a laptop today so not as many toys but I would not expect half a dozen potential video streams saying scrambled in the codec info if you recorded the virtual channel)

Generally with cablecard you must use virtual channel to get anything useful that way the cablecard can decode it (though logging on SD's end may show some possible signal issues when you made such recording)

From your picture you are on physical channel 5 and most likely the virtual channel you wanted was 376 but that number may not be accurate when it comes to the cablecard.

From your description it could be anything but will concentrate on the fact you saw a quality dip. First I always suggest an LTE and/or MoCA filter (LTE filter will often block moca as well) on the line going into the tuner. I would double check tightness on all connections as well as trying to move the tuner away from anything that is RF generating such as your wifi router.

It could be network related but not indicated if it was really a quality drop that was reported. It also could be client related so I also suggest watching on another system (make sure different gpu as some have issues with certain streams) but again, if there was a drop, I wouldn't go down that road yet.

klaberte

Re: Pixilation and Symbol Quality

Post by klaberte »

Thank you so much for your helpful feedback. I think I have solved my issue by moving the SD tuner further from my router. I also turned off wifi on that interface router, as there is sufficient other APs in the house. Together (I'm not sure which or both), my Symbol Quality has been pegged at 100%. I'll also see if I have MOCA filter around here. I don't presently seem to need it, but the cable plant is a shared one, so better to add protection now while I'm thinking of it.