Upgrading computer hardware

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
lupi

Upgrading computer hardware

Post by lupi »

It looks like my sandybridge based wmc pc is showing its age. When i move recordings from the initial save folder to the various destination drives, playback stutters to a halt for anyine also trying to watch live tv.

For a pc that spends 85% of its effort working as the server for my prime units and supports several wmc extenders, what cpus should I be looking at for a replacement.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Upgrading computer hardware

Post by NedS »

Would this new hardware also be using Windows Media Center? Getting that to run on the newer device might be the bigger issue, though I hear people have figured out how to hack some stuff together if the hardware only supports Windows 10. I'm not sure how stable that would be, though.

lupi

Post by lupi »

Yes, would be reinstalling win 8.1 on it.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Any Intel stuff starting with Kaby Lake (7th gen) officially is not supported by Windows 7/8.1, and on AMD it's anything Bristol Ridge or newer. There are mods out there to let you install updates on these chips, but who knows what will break over time with no testing being done. Probably want to stick with something from Skylake (6th gen).