No surround sound 5.1 when viewing live tv

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
h0va4life

No surround sound 5.1 when viewing live tv

Post by h0va4life »

My rear speakers and subwoofer are completely silent when viewing live channels although per the app the channel content is 5.1. Is 5.1 not supported by SD devices?

I was watching black panther on ABC and there have been other times when I noticed this on live TV.

Setup:
OTA antenna to Connect Quattro
I view channels.via the Android TV default live channels app and have tried the hdhomerun app as well.

My other sources in the channels app give me 5.1 when available. The channels app provides detail regarding if the OTA signal is available in HD and 5.1/stereo audio. The app shows the signal is 5.1.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: No surround sound 5.1 when viewing live tv

Post by NedS »

The HDHomeRun hardware and the HDHomeRun app both support 5.1 audio. In the HDHomeRun app settings, make sure "Use AC3 passthrough when possible" is turned on.

h0va4life

Re: No surround sound 5.1 when viewing live tv

Post by h0va4life »

NedS wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:52 pm The HDHomeRun hardware and the HDHomeRun app both support 5.1 audio. In the HDHomeRun app settings, make sure "Use AC3 passthrough when possible" is turned on.
Your solution worked like a charm after I also updated the FW, probably been a few months since i updated the FW.

I also had to change audio processing on my TV to help decrease the out of sync a/v after changing the hdhomerun.