Real Newbie Questions

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
allans

Real Newbie Questions

Post by allans »

Hi all,

I have FiOS and am looking to cut cable. So here we go..

I have a HDTV antenna in mind. That is the easy part. An Internet search brought me to HDHomeRun. I can speak tech decently but I am not a network engineer, application architect, hard core audiophile or media guru. I would love to be able to watch OTA HDTV on my portable devices, but being old school especially on my Smart TVs...

I have a VIZIO M658-G1 M-Series Quantum 65” 4K HDR Smart TV and am looking to add another. I need to ensure that the HDHomeRun will work on this TV and any others I buy via HDHR app or the TV's native app(s). How do I determine this?

Also, I envision wanting at times to have more than one TV tuned into the same channel. Is this supported?

Thanks

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Real Newbie Questions

Post by signcarver »

My advice is to never expect a smartTV to be very smart and to expect, at least at some point, needing another device that isn't a roku to display the content you want. Typically for maximum compatibility you would want an android TV based product (or htpc).

However nearly all smartTVs do offer support via archaic dlna features that are not very user friendly.

Tuning multiples of the same channel is always possible but depending on software used to access it may or may not use more than one tuner to view that channel.

allans

Post by allans »

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about...archaic dlna features....other devices...greek to me. I am trying not to have to become an expert on technologies and products in order to see if what I am buying will even work. I'm not against doing a bit of research, but it would seem to me that Silicon would do a better job of guiding prospective customers on their products and compatibility.

Thanks...

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

allans wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:06 pm
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about...archaic dlna features....other devices...greek to me. I am trying not to have to become an expert on technologies and products in order to see if what I am buying will even work. I'm not against doing a bit of research, but it would seem to me that Silicon would do a better job of guiding prospective customers on their products and compatibility.

Thanks...
It's pretty easy, if you want a turn-key setup then you need a supported device that runs the HDHomeRun app: https://www.silicondust.com/live-tv/#devices

Anything not on that list is going to take more effort, or might not be possible without additional hardware.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

You didn't say anything about wanting to record shows. If you just want to watch live broadcast TV then never mind the HDHR (sorry, SD). Connect your antenna to the antenna input of the TV and scan for channels. To connect multiple TVs, use a splitter or possibly a distribution amp. The TVs can all be tuned to the same channel if you like.

allans

Post by allans »

Yes, I understand that is an option.

Recording isn't my primary driver. Mostly it's being able to watch live OTA TV on my TVs and on mobile devices - so it is the latter that brought me to the HomeRun.

I decided to order a Quattro tuner and a 4K Firestick TV and see what I can get out of it.

Thanks