Newbie Tech Questiions

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Dan Rapak

Newbie Tech Questiions

Post by Dan Rapak »

Hello All,

Just received my first HDHR5-2US. i have it working fine here in my home, but my intention is to locate it at a remote location and access it from here. I have a couple of questions regarding the best approach to doing this. The basic configuration would be this:

Computer / Smart TV <-> Home LAN <-> Home Router <-> Internet <-> Remote Private WAN Gateway <-> Private WAN <-> HomeRun at remote site

- My first question / issue is that the private WAN that requires a fixed IP address. Is there a way to assign a fixed IP to the HomeRun?

- My second question is, is there a specific port number used by the HomeRun that I need to incorporate in order to access it on the WAN?

- Third question, does anyone have experience in accessing a HomeRun via a smart TV, specifically an LG?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Newbie Tech Questiions

Post by signcarver »

Typically you would want something other than just the smart tv as most likely additional programs will need to be involved, not always, but I would not rely solely on just a smart tv to connect as such... the modern way of discovery would require the remote location put on your LAN (or probably more commonly your location be put on its LAN) through a vpn but many such implementations will not forward such traffic as discovery is a udp packet sent to the broadcast address of the network using port 65001 then a unicast back to what requested such discovery. The modern request to stream a channel is http://<ip-of-tuner>:5004/auto/v# where 5004 is the port to connect to and # is the virtual channel number.

Assuming you have such tunnel between locations you don't need to worry about hop count (TTL) and it is possible for dlna and other discovery or even connecting directly by ip but many have found it easier, since their vpn implementation is "poor", to mangle the stream to allow a greater hop count of the packets and stream directly but that also typically requires hardware that allows such and usually such hardware implementations can make the tunnel properly (at least between 2 dedicated points that seldom change ip addresses).

Others use software at the location of the device to connect to but again, that often requires software locally to make such connection. Personally if I were to look just at a smarttv doing so, I would probably steer towards an android tv based tv rather than webOS or tizen based.

As far as IP of the device goes, it is by DHCP only (or apipa) so you would need a DHCP reservation.

Dan Rapak

Post by Dan Rapak »

Thanks much for your very comprehensive reply. I appreciate the information very much as the documentation for this device is a bit "thin."
I'll play around with this in the next week or two. If I can call upon you again, I may have additional questions at that time.

Have a great weekend,
Dan R.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

LG/WebOS client coming soon.

Dan Rapak

Post by Dan Rapak »

That's terrific! Thank you! Could you post when it becomes available?

Dan

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

NedS wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:24 pm
But I doubt that would "easily" work remotely.

Dan Rapak

Post by Dan Rapak »

If I can get it to work remotely with the computer, I suspect I can get it to work with the smart TV. We'll see,

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

signcarver wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:43 pm
NedS wrote:
But I doubt that would "easily" work remotely.
Ah, skimmed that part, my bad.

Dan Rapak

Post by Dan Rapak »

NedS,

What ports need to be forwarded for the discovery handshaking and the video to work when the HDHomeRun is located outside of the local LAN? I tried ports 65001 and 5004 mentioned earlier but to no avail.

Also, is there a way to enter a command line parameter in "hdhomerunview.exe" to direct it to a specific IP address as opposed to using the discovery process?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

You generally still need to be in the network as even if you forward things, generally there will be too many hops (you could mangle that though).

Also keep in mind discovery is up and thus delivery isn't ensured.

Best/easiest is not use SD's software and typically put a server as an intermediary.

Dan Rapak

Post by Dan Rapak »

Yep. What I'm doing for test purposes is this:

Computer <-> LAN1 <-> Router <-> LAN2 <-> HDHomeRun

At this point I'm trying to get things to flow through the router. I was also thinking I may need to use 3rd party software. Nevertheless, I still need to know what ports to forward. I tried VLC using the ports you listed earlier, but couldn't get it through the router.

Dan

neoark

Post by neoark »

NedS wrote:
Hello any update on app for webos. Can’t wait to try it out on OLED 2020.