HDHR3-DT "Unable to play channel: Timeout"

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Orpheus

HDHR3-DT "Unable to play channel: Timeout"

Post by Orpheus »

Hi, I have a HDHR3-DT, it works fine in Plex, I can see the HDHomeRun, scan for channels, set my postcode and select channels to show, download EPG, then channels load and all works as it should.

However, on the HDHomeRun app on Windows 10 and Xbox One, I get the error "Unable to play channel: Timeout". I have installed the HDHomeRun Setup app and run that, it updated the firmware, and scanned for channels finding them fine, however the official HDHomeRun app still has the above error. This is where it gets interesting, in the Setup app, in the channel list, it has found my correct region channels (eg. BBC ONE East E) so I know this is correct, but when choosing the channels in the HDHomeRun app, it instead has BBC ONE London showing which I believe is why it isn't loading, the app is freshly installed so I cannot understand why it is showing London channels when the Setup app has tuned East region, it is as if the list of channels is cached somewhere and not being updated correctly after being retuned. I have rebooted the HDHomeRun, left it running 24 hours to see if it updates and nope, still the same.

I have further tested with Jellyfin as well, and that gets the channel list from the HDHomeRun somehow and also shows London region channels with no reception.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHR3-DT "Unable to play channel: Timeout"

Post by NedS »

This is an issue on our side, I think. Legacy HDHomeRun units don't store a channel list on the hardware, so for use with the HDHomeRun app we store a channel list on our servers. At the moment that list isn't updating when people re-scan, so there might be some old/bad data left over from a different scan. We are looking into it. Other apps should be unaffected.

Orpheus

Post by Orpheus »

Thank you, at least I now know it is nothing I have done (or not done).

wdmooney

Post by wdmooney »

@SiliconDust Any status on this? I am having the same problem with my HDHomeRun Dual. Works fine from Windows 7 PC where I did setup and scan but will not work from Android App. It sees the device but I get the Unable to play channel: Timeout issue

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

That had been fixed long ago if it was the issue NedS mentioned which is that legacy products don't maintain their own lineup (legacy is 3rd gen or earlier except for prime and expand which are the only 3rd gen products that maintain their own lineup) so for a 3rd gen product to be able to get a lineup for SD's apps, it must be on recent firmware, must have internet connection, and must have a channel scan from windows setup. In this particular issue SD had updated security on their servers... Windows 7 has no such updates available (though may also relate to old compiler libraries vs a built in windows (10) library being used) so the windows setup app had to be issued in that setup could comply with the new security measures on SD's web servers.

Make sure you are on latest windows software package as it sounds lie you are on a very old windows software package that didn't rely on a scan being available. Also make sure everything is on the same network as it may be that something is preventing android from discovering your tuner

You may wish to check http://<ip-of-tuner>/discover.json to see if it even responds to that (requires recent firmware) and check what is returned for the LineupURL and retrieve such lineup yourself... from what I remember on legacy devices it returns name, channel number, and the PlayURL and rather than the regular response of an http request it gives something like hdhomerun://<deviceID>/ch<frequency>-<program>... if it uses the deviceid, it would need to be discoverable (but it might use ip address but I don't recall so).

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

wdmooney wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:29 pm
@SiliconDust Any status on this? I am having the same problem with my HDHomeRun Dual. Works fine from Windows 7 PC where I did setup and scan but will not work from Android App. It sees the device but I get the Unable to play channel: Timeout issue
Make sure you have the most recent HDHomeRun Setup utility and then run a fresh channel scan/detection: https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... indows.exe

wdmooney

Post by wdmooney »

Thanks. I already had upgraded to most recent firmware but I did a channel scan (again) and then it started working on my HDHomeRun Android App.
Unit reports:
HDHomeRun DUAL
Model: HDHR3-US
Device ID: 103B8EE1
Firmware: 20200225