HDHR3-US

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHR3-US

Post by signcarver »

As they said, they think it is something server side... a few months ago they updated some security on their servers the most apparent issue was with the win7/8 app in that it couldn't get the guide data using https requests on win 7 and that was fixed with a new beta windows package (20200602beta1) however it would not surprise me if the setup package fails to utilize the new parts that were put into the app to overcome it (it also might be a good idea to make sure you are on that beta or newer?)... However I would have thought that windows 10 would have had such "native" security updates and not need to be included so it may be related or not and still be something else but for some reason the setup app apparently isn't communicating the lineup to the servers or possibly the servers have a database issue (or similar) that it doesn't "save" such information where it can be accessible.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

I ran a series of tests with legacy tuners and scanning for channels using HDHomeRun Setup. Everything worked correctly.

Nick

ratovan

Post by ratovan »

nickk wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:17 am
I ran a series of tests with legacy tuners and scanning for channels using HDHomeRun Setup. Everything worked correctly.

Nick
ok, what are the next steps for the people still having issues. It definitely doesn't work correctly for me, or it seems other people following this thread.

In my case the "scanning" works correctly. the setup programs sees the channels, but it isn't updating something somewhere. when I visit the my.hdhromrun.com address, it still lists a channel list from a previous scan.

These are the channels listed in my http://ipv4-api.hdhomerun.com/api/lineu ... xxxxxxxxxx

[
{
"GuideNumber": "2.1",
"GuideName": "CBFT-DT",
"URL": "hdhomerun://103AA0EF/ch503000000-3"
},
{
"GuideNumber": "6.1",
"GuideName": "CBMT-DT",
"URL": "hdhomerun://103AA0EF/ch515000000-3"
},
{
"GuideNumber": "10.1",
"GuideName": "CFTM-DT",
"URL": "hdhomerun://103AA0EF/ch195000000-1"
},
{
"GuideNumber": "17.1",
"GuideName": "CIVM-HD",
"URL": "hdhomerun://103AA0EF/ch545000000-3"
}
]

but when I scan with the setup program I list 7 stations.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Those affected, can you tell us your internet provider? And if you are using any special ad blockers like Pi-Hole?

ratovan

Post by ratovan »

NedS wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:49 pm
Those affected, can you tell us your internet provider? And if you are using any special ad blockers like Pi-Hole?
I'm using Bell Fibe Internet (gigabit fibre) and no blockers of any kind. I've tried the setup program on three different machines and have the same results each time. Even the hdhomerun app only shows the old lineup, not the new one the setup program finds.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Just out of curiosity, have you used the beta that fixed the SSL issue for the app on windows 7/8 as it wouldn't surprise me that is the reason nickk didn't see any issue but not sure of what all was tested (such as disconnecting antenna and wiping out the existing lineup and confirming such was wiped out)...

Also the scan does not allow any edit of channels and requires both name and virtual channel number... some versions of setup allowed for easy editing there and it reads the results of the eventually saved xml until another scan is done so not certain if that picture was just from a scan.

ratovan

Post by ratovan »

signcarver wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:16 pm
Just out of curiosity, have you used the beta that fixed the SSL issue for the app on windows 7/8 as it wouldn't surprise me that is the reason nickk didn't see any issue but not sure of what all was tested (such as disconnecting antenna and wiping out the existing lineup and confirming such was wiped out)...

Also the scan does not allow any edit of channels and requires both name and virtual channel number... some versions of setup allowed for easy editing there and it reads the results of the eventually saved xml until another scan is done so not certain if that picture was just from a scan.
I'll try disconnecting the antenna and doing a scan to see if it wipes it out. the picture was taken from a scan, no manual editing. (Didn't know that was possible)

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

I wasn't suggesting you do that as it may make some channels that seem to be correct go away... I was curious if nickk did that to ensure servers were updated and not just something staying around.

I didn't think you edited but can't make such assumptions, thus why I asked... if you had a much older version of setup it would even edit right there. The xml gets put in program data and may need permissions to edit but lots of old software can use the results of that xml thus why some people edit it but any such edit is not sent to SD as it gets sent right after (or possibly during) the scan.

scorpionhl

Post by scorpionhl »

I went and downloaded the Beta windows setup program, at least I thought I had (20200701). Results appear to be the same after doing a scan and hitting apply, channels still show as 0 (and all hdhomerun apps show no channels to stream). Since it was asked previously, my ISP is Spectrum Cable and I'm not using any blockers/filters like pihole. I noticed that on the first run through the config application crashes, after restarting it and hitting apply it doesn't crash again, only shows a progress bar get to about 30% then disappears (so not sure if it's completing any action or not). I can repeat this process by uninstalling and reinstalling, happens every time (went ahead and enabled the send diag option on the last run). I only mention in case it's relevant to this issue. I couldn't find a log file to help clue me in as to what the cause might be, but i did see the xml file get generated every time. Thanks again for helping us!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

scorpionhl wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:00 pm
I went and downloaded the Beta windows setup program, at least I thought I had (20200701). Results appear to be the same after doing a scan and hitting apply, channels still show as 0 (and all hdhomerun apps show no channels to stream). Since it was asked previously, my ISP is Spectrum Cable and I'm not using any blockers/filters like pihole. I noticed that on the first run through the config application crashes, after restarting it and hitting apply it doesn't crash again, only shows a progress bar get to about 30% then disappears (so not sure if it's completing any action or not). I can repeat this process by uninstalling and reinstalling, happens every time (went ahead and enabled the send diag option on the last run). I only mention in case it's relevant to this issue. I couldn't find a log file to help clue me in as to what the cause might be, but i did see the xml file get generated every time. Thanks again for helping us!
Please enable "send diagnostic information" on the Advanced tab, run a new scan, then post back with the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Problem found - new windows beta release is in the works.

Nick

scorpionhl

Post by scorpionhl »

Hi Nick,
I've recreated this several times, so hopefully you have a number of diagnostic reports. My device ID is "DeviceID":"103AD8EC"

scorpionhl

Post by scorpionhl »

oh oops, sorry Nick, didn't see your latest entry for some reason. I'll grab the new beta and retest, please ignore my last post!!!

ratovan

Post by ratovan »

nickk wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:33 am
Problem found - new windows beta release is in the works.

Nick
That's great news. Thanks.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Beta release 20200819beta1 is out:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=20613

Nick