Firmware update not available

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Mjpearson2000

Re: Firmware update not available

Post by Mjpearson2000 »

Help Please.

I'm having similar problems (HD Dual). I think it's a version conflict but I don't know how to prove it:

- my.hdhomerun.com reports that my device is configured with version 20200225 but SD (website) reports that latest version is 20200521.

- When I run configuration, it doesn't broadcast a need for update. Nor does my.hdhomerun.com show the "red X" to denote need for new version

- I can run the config software and it reports 50+ channels but when I perform an APPLY, it almost seems like it doesn't complete the task before closing the update window.

- When I attempt to run HD Viewer software (v20200803) on my Android Tablet, I'm presented with channels that don't match the configuration channels and all those that do show up say "Unable to play channel: Unknown Channel Timeout". Similar issues with other devices.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks

Mike

Mjpearson2000

Post by Mjpearson2000 »

I should have mentioned that the my.hdhomerun.com page says my device is a DUAL 1034C6AD.

Now to complicate things....

- I just noticed that the channels in the Dual seem to be the local Cable-TV channels???? How did my Dual pickup the cablebox channels? Through one of the TV-apps?
- How can I over-write the channels in the box with the channels in the config-app? And why doesn't the config-app over-write the channels in the box?

Mike

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

legacy equipment such as the 3rd gen dual would have the 225 as latest firmware... it also stores the lineup on SD's servers and requires a scan from the hdhomerun setup of the full windows software package to inform sd of the lineup. it also requires the name and virtual channel number to provide guide to be picked up from that scan... there is no configuration of such other than the windows scan.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

Mjpearson2000 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:02 pm
- I just noticed that the channels in the Dual seem to be the local Cable-TV channels???? How did my Dual pickup the cablebox channels? Through one of the TV-apps?
I assume your HDHR3 is connected to an antenna, not cable. When you last ran a scan on HDHomeRun Setup (not Config) in Windows, was it set to Digital Antenna or Digital Cable?

How is your HDHR3 connected to your network? It should be either directly to your router or to an Ethernet switch connected to the router and your other wired devices, not directly to your PC.

I've read that some PC firewall settings, some router settings and even some ISPs can block SD from communicating with HDHRs but I don't know much about that so I'll leave it to those who do.

Mjpearson2000

Post by Mjpearson2000 »

SignCarver -

Thank you.

>>legacy equipment such as the 3rd gen dual would have the 225 as latest firmware...

So, I must have the most recent firmware. Good to know. Website was a bit confusing about devices and respective firmware versions. That removes one of the variables to my problem.

>>it also stores the lineup on SD's servers

Since all my devices displayed a common list of channels, I assumed the Dbase was stored on the device. Interesting to learn that dbase is stored on SD severs. Something I hadn't considered. Very interesting.

Mike

Mjpearson2000

Post by Mjpearson2000 »

EBO

>>I assume your HDHR3 is connected to an antenna, not cable. When you last ran a scan on HDHomeRun Setup (not Config) in Windows, was it set to Digital Antenna or Digital Cable?

To the best of my knowledge, it was set to DIGITAL ANTENNA. Somewhere along the way, I loaded Homerun TV application on my TV. I'm wondering if that app might have picked up something from TV???

>>How is your HDHR3 connected to your network? It should be either directly to your router or to an Ethernet switch connected to the router and your other wired devices, not directly to your PC.

[Antenna] <---> [Dual] <---> [Router in BRIDGE mode] <--> [Master Router] <---> [Cable Modem] <---> [Cable Box]

>>I've read that some PC firewall settings, some router settings and even some ISPs can block SD from communicating with HDHRs but I don't know much about that so I'll leave it to those who do.

This is new issue. I had things working until a recent rescan when things went "whacky". So I tend to think it isn't firewall related but you never know. I guess I need to study more.

Does it make sense to run SD LOG feature? Can I read the LOG or will it be sent to SD for analysis?

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

Mjpearson2000 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:55 pm
EBO

>>I assume your HDHR3 is connected to an antenna, not cable. When you last ran a scan on HDHomeRun Setup (not Config) in Windows, was it set to Digital Antenna or Digital Cable?

To the best of my knowledge, it was set to DIGITAL ANTENNA. Somewhere along the way, I loaded Homerun TV application on my TV. I'm wondering if that app might have picked up something from TV???
It's easy to find out. Run HDHomeRun Setup and see what it's set to. The link should be in your Start Menu under HDHomeRun but if not, it's in your HDHomeRun program directory. You could also do another scan to see if that fixes things.

Delving a bit more "under the hood," you could go to C:\ProgramData\SiliconDust\HDHomeRun to see if you have a file called Digital Antenna.xml or Digital Cable.xml. Although current SD apps no longer use that file, it's still created by the setup program for older 3rd party programs that do. The setup program's channel listing is based on that file, not the online guide.
Mjpearson2000 wrote:
>>How is your HDHR3 connected to your network? It should be either directly to your router or to an Ethernet switch connected to the router and your other wired devices, not directly to your PC.

[Antenna] <---> [Dual] <---> [Router in BRIDGE mode] <--> [Master Router] <---> [Cable Modem] <---> [Cable Box]
That should work as long as the bridge mode is set up properly and the Windows PC is also connected (preferably via Ethernet).
Mjpearson2000 wrote:
>>I've read that some PC firewall settings, some router settings and even some ISPs can block SD from communicating with HDHRs but I don't know much about that so I'll leave it to those who do.

This is new issue. I had things working until a recent rescan when things went "whacky". So I tend to think it isn't firewall related but you never know. I guess I need to study more.

Does it make sense to run SD LOG feature? Can I read the LOG or will it be sent to SD for analysis?
If it worked before the rescan and there were no other changes, it's likely that the rescan caused the problem. Enabling diagnostics sends the data to SD, provided your LAN and Internet connections are all as they should be. One of the SD gurus will tell you what to do, probably involving a rescan. Most likely they'll be able to identify the problem.

Mjpearson2000

Post by Mjpearson2000 »

Ebo,

Thanks for all the help and consult.

I tried a whole lot more things and even tried command line commands. From what little I know, I couldn't find anything wrong so I opened a ticket. We went back and forth several times. In the end the help desk concluded that there is something wrong on the SD servers and they are researching.

I was stunned at the quick response from SD Help Desk. Further, they researched their end of the connection...often times help desks will insist that the problem is on the client end of the connection without doing internal inspection....I'm impressed that SD was willing to go the extra mile and inspect their end and the with such quick response too.

I hope they can identify and resolve the problem.

Thanks for your help too.

Mike