Firmware update not available

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Dhayes

Firmware update not available

Post by Dhayes »

Hello. I resurrected my silicon dust HD extend to use with a new HD antenna. It works fine but if I go to http://hdhomerun.com it does find it and the firmware is from 2016 and says it needs to update. However if I click on the link it brings me to a firmware instruction page with 3 steps but no content on the page to read. I have tried many different browsers.

Is there any other way to update firmware on this extend?

Thanks Dave

3ton

Re: Firmware update not available

Post by 3ton »

Dhayes wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:13 pm
Hello. I resurrected my silicon dust HD extend to use with a new HD antenna. It works fine but if I go to http://hdhomerun.com it does find it and the firmware is from 2016 and says it needs to update. However if I click on the link it brings me to a firmware instruction page with 3 steps but no content on the page to read. I have tried many different browsers.

Is there any other way to update firmware on this extend?

Thanks Dave
I am not sure but install the hdhomerun setup program on your computer and see if it updates the device. If not then disconnect the internet from your router and then try the setup program again. It might take a little longer.

Dhayes

Post by Dhayes »

Thanks for your response. I tried this and it does not allow upgrades to firmware in the setup program. I tried disconnecting from the internet as well and that does not help.

Thanks for your response.
Dave

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

The update from the software setup is automatic... just make sure to get (download) latest software package (windows/mac) not just app. Once you are into the 2017 releases you can update from the device.

Dhayes

Post by Dhayes »

Thanks. I did download the latest setup software from the web site (not the app) and it did not do the update. It just installed and I can see the configuration, dvr, etc but no option to update. I will keep trying to resolve.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Windows or mac? Make sure the device is on same network, preferably wired.

Typically it isn't an option as setup just updates such when started.

Alternatively you can download the firmware (typically on linux page but the firmware itself doesn't matter which platform) and use hdhomerun_config or hdhomerun_config_gui.

3ton

Post by 3ton »

Does the device show up in the setup from list? You might be doing it to fast and the device is not seen by the setup program.

If not, then disconnect the internet from router, then reboot the device, wait till it can be found on your lan. Then start the setup program, and see if it finds the device and upgrades firmware.

Dhayes

Post by Dhayes »

Thanks. It does find the device and finds 2 tuners when I rescan. Device input shows a serial number of a device. Source type dissed and status disabled. I will try your suggestion and post back

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

I believe status disabled is when it can't find a previously found tuner (I don't have any off... or did you see/set disabled for source type it may not update a disabled one)... does clicking on the device id take you to the device's web page? what firmware is it on as firmware update happens "prior" to that screen (I think once or twice I've seen it pop up behind and possibly ask for an ok but usually does it with no real warning if you don't see that spash).

Dhayes

Post by Dhayes »

signcarver wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:00 pm
I believe status disabled is when it can't find a previously found tuner (I don't have any off... or did you see/set disabled for source type it may not update a disabled one)... does clicking on the device id take you to the device's web page? what firmware is it on as firmware update happens "prior" to that screen (I think once or twice I've seen it pop up behind and possibly ask for an ok but usually does it with no real warning if you don't see that spash).
I did not set the source to disabled. And there is no option to enable it. Basically, when I launch the app it finds (2) tuners. Then shows the device ID with the source disabled and status disabled. But everything works (I am using HD channels on a Roku and everything does work). When I click on the ID it does not bring up a device page. It sits there for a second or 2 and then goes back to the HD Setup screen. But if I bring up a web browser and go to the IP of the HD Extend I can the model, device and firmware. The firmware is 20161119. I can see channel lineup, status, etc and everything seems to be working. I just can not upgrade the firmware.

The setup app does not seem to do anything as far as firmware goes.

I did disable the Internet (Unplug from router), power cycled the unit and it still does not update.

Thanks again

Dhayes

Post by Dhayes »

Still no luck here. I am wondering if I might be out of luck since the firmware is so old. Perhaps it is too old to be recognized and updated. I did download the beta version of the HD setup application and that did not help.

Perhaps I will look around to see if I can find an old version. Maybe that will help. I have not had luck finding it on the SD web site.

Thanks

3ton

Post by 3ton »

Since the firmware is old, the setup program is the only way I know of to update it. Normally you just disconnect internet and run setup program and it updates it with the firmware that is included with the setup program. Since in the setup program your device cannot be set to antenna, the program will not update it. You need to figure out why the setup program does not see the device. I am guessing here but it might be the network of how this computer is connected to the network. There is something about public and private and home. I think it needs to be setup for home in your computers networking.

If you have another computer on the network, I would install the setup program on it and see if that helps.

Dhayes

Post by Dhayes »

Thanks for the great tips. I will give it a shot on another system and post back

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

We can also walk you through using the command line method of updating. It's basically the same for linux, but will use the Windows power shell: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/update# ... a_linux_pc

Dhayes

Post by Dhayes »

NedS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:28 pm
We can also walk you through using the command line method of updating. It's basically the same for linux, but will use the Windows power shell: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/update# ... a_linux_pc
PERFECT. Thank you. Fortunately I run linux as my daily driver on my laptop so I was able to get the linux version compiled and the upgrade went perfectly!!

THANK YOU for your awesome help! And thanks to all who responded.

Dave