Advanced Troubleshooting assistance if anyone has an idea

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Parallaxian

Advanced Troubleshooting assistance if anyone has an idea

Post by Parallaxian »

Hello,

First I want to thank anyone in advance who can offer assistance. I tried contacting Silicon dust last year and there was no resolution offered so hopefully someone has an idea to assist. I was one of the first people that got an HdHomerRun Prime HDHR3-CC. Worked great for years then something went wrong that the network LED went RED when hooked up into the router BUT... when I had it plugged into a switch that connected to the router it went back on and worked. That got me by for a few more years but now I have the issue where even conntected to a switch now it won't detect the network. The ethernet pins in the port look fine and everything else seems to function but just not the ethernet now.
So before it just ends up in the garbage I wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas that I can bring it back to life? I consider myself pretty advanced from a technical standpoint so if there was some way to try and reflash the bios using the USB port and a terminal program to dial in I'm all for it. If there is something too on the circuit board of the unit itself I should check I'm up for that too but just need to know what I should be looking for.

Thank you all in advance for any ideas that may get this up and running again.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Advanced Troubleshooting assistance if anyone has an idea

Post by signcarver »

Being a cablecard certified device, most of what you asked can never be possible.

I used to nearly always have that issue with certain consumer netgear routers and switches (the same also had the same problem with other devices, though nearly never with a pc, so I can blame those routers and switches over the prime). In some cases using a 100Mbps cable (only 4 wires rather than 8) or forcing the switch port to 100Mbps (if capable of management) could make it stable enough.

If you are on very old firmware there was a reboot issue with some devices that you would have to disconnect your router from the internet to upgrade but I would have expected that issue to surface long ago if you were susceptible to it.

Though doubtful to be your issue, nearly every 5th gen device i have installed has needed to be completely disconnected from power and ethernet for several hours and usually manifests this issue after a brief power outage or on reset after a firmware update... though I am ensured it isn't the issue it behaves like a bad capacitor that must be drained before working again. The good news is that I have never had to do it on a device a 2nd time.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

It's a last-ditch solution, after all other options have been exhausted, and could possibly damage the unit even more, but look up "reflow fix" and you'll find various guides. The idea is *if* the issue is a cold/broken solder joint (which is certainly possible) then sticking the PCB into an oven can reflow the solder and might bright it back to life.

Parallaxian

Post by Parallaxian »

Thank you both for the suggestions. I think I'll try the 4 pin cable option first but overall it seems that I have nothing left to lose at this point. Shame it's not just something as simple as being able to reflash the firmware if such an option existed (IE the same way you could flash anything hardware wise like a managed switch... phone... etc.).

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Having a JTAG or other diagnostic port that could potentially allow manual firmware flashing is explicitly prohibited in the CableCARD specs. And the bootloader verifies the checksum of the firmware before it even boots, so if there wasn't a valid firmware image it simply wouldn't boot at all.