Virtual channels and signal strength. VERY wierd, help

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Vincecross

Virtual channels and signal strength. VERY wierd, help

Post by Vincecross »

So I have a pretty weird thing going on here.

This is my 2nd HDhomerun Quatro, when I moved to my current location my Quatro was going to be used for the clear QAM signal I get with my HOA. Initially it worked and then it stopped when the cable company came to clean up some wiring and actually do my official install. Fast forward a few months I purchased 2 competitor PCI cards and they work great. I needed more streams so I decided to buy a new HDhomerun thinking the old one just may have been broken.

Here are the odd circumstances I am seeing
1. To get the HDhomerun to scan anything beyond 2 channels I have to put the HDHomerun behind 2 splitters, making the signal strength less, with it connected directly to the distrobution node in my closet it gets 2 or 3 channels that have nothing, put it between 2 splitters (halving the signal 4x) it now picks up about 93 channels of my 130 available.
2. It picks up the virtual channel numbers 5000, 5001, 5002 etc.. instead of the QAM digital channels 18.2, 18.2, 99.479, etc...
3. When i re-scan lets say channel 5001 was CBS on the first scan, on the 2nd scan it will be TLC
4. I have 2 PCI cards from a different company that scan the channels fine and I get 108 and 118 channels respectively on each of those cards.
5. I tested using the exact same cable input for both HDhomerun and my PCI cards, I also put the PCI card behind the same splitters to test and they pick up the channels fine

My TV provider is ACN (America's cable network) they send their signal over the local Centurylink fiber that goes to the node on the side of the house and the QAM gets produced there and sent into the house over coax to an 8 port distribution node.
Original setup was a direct connection to the node to the PCI card and another to the HDhome run
Current setup has a cable going from the distribution node to a 2 way splitter (3 connections 1 in 2 out) , a single wire out to another 2 way splitter and both the PCI card and HDhomerun connected.
As a note I tried with just 1 splitter but the HDhomerun only picked up about 60 channels, so I split it one more time.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Virtual channels and signal strength. VERY wierd, help

Post by signcarver »

Describe what you mean by distribution node as when fed by fiber it is rare to need an (additional) amp as the signal is typically 4-8x stronger than what cable usually comes in at and one thing you never want to do is overpower a signal to a hdhr. In some cases the ont/onu system might have a variable rf output to lower the power prior to your dustribution.

As far as getting the 5000 numbered channels, that are considered random but usually won't change often on the same device, those numbers are generated by the hdhr when the psip data for the virtual channel number isn't present as the channel lineup is dependent on having virtual channel numbers for the modern method of tuning. Though sd's software can access them for live, typically you won't know what the channel is so it isn't practical to use software that relies on the modern method of tuning until the channels have proper psip data provided in the stream by the "cable" company.

As for the difference in number of channels, it could be that you are still overpowering the signal but most pci tuners will also pick up any analog channels that some fiber companies may still allow (verizon gave up analog for clear qam of the same long ago but it is possible to have analog channels with fiber systems)

Vincecross

Post by Vincecross »

The node is just a standard Coax 8 port, no amp, its not powered. Single input , 8 outputs total of 9 coax ports in total. So it goes from the ONT VIA coax to the Distribution node to the in, all 8 ports are connected to various points in my home, 2 TVs are connected. Then I have 1 port connected to the 2 splitters described with the 2nd splitter having one going to the PCI card and one going to the HDHR.

As far as the 5000 channels it appears to change every time I scan, which could be an issue since I have to map the channels, I am still working to try and tweak why it only picks up 94 channels of the 120 available. I guess on the HDHR there is no way to use the digital channel format that the cable provider is issueing?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

We are looking into options for stations that don't have proper PSIP IDs (channels in the 5000s), but it will be a long term feature development (no ETA at the moment).