Moving recordings to Servio

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
richardb

Moving recordings to Servio

Post by richardb »

Morning all, I have just installed a Servio to my setup, with a view to replacing the DVR software I currently have running in a docker. I would like to make this process as smooth as possible for those who use the system, so is there a way to move recordings from one DVR to another? The Servio does not seem to expose its storage as a file share, so I can't just drag and drop them over.

Any thoughts?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Moving recordings to Servio

Post by signcarver »

I have heard they do intend on having newer firmware to allow moving to servio but i would strongly suggest against such and keep it on your nas... almost nothing worse than 100mbit to move video files around other than streaming as intended.

If I have to move anything to/from a servio, i pop the drive and make sure i have a linux machine (or vm) around that can read/write it.

richardb

Post by richardb »

Sign carver, thanks for the tip. I have a Linux system and a usb drive interface, so I will try that. As you say, quicker than copying over slow ethernet.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Just make sure you have anything needed for xfs support... I don't regularly use xfs and it took a little bit to get the packages. The first time I moved files off of it, then put the drive back in the servio, the space was still in use but the files were no longer there then it took me awhile to get the space back but since then I haven't seen the issue again.

richardb

Post by richardb »

Thanks for the tip. To anyone finding this by search, what I did was this:

- waited until the system was not recording anything
- Powered off the HDHomeRun DVR Docker that the existing recordings were on
- powered off the Servio
- opened the case, removed the hard drive. Not difficult to do, just a few screws
- Attached the HD to a USB to SATA interface.
- Connected the drive to the Linux machine that the Docker was on. That won't work with a Windows machine, as the drive is in XFS format
- Copied the recordings over to the HDHomerun folder on the hard drive.
- Reinstalled the drive to the Servio
- Powered on the Servio

The recordings then appeared under the usual Recorded tab in the HDHomeRun app. I don't think the users even noticed that I had moved anything!