Use HDHomerun Prime without a Cable card

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
keplenk

Use HDHomerun Prime without a Cable card

Post by keplenk »

Hello,

I'm planning to cut the cord and only have internet only and will mostly do streaming. My current setup is HDHomerun Prime with Verizon FIOS cable card which worked great for the last 3 years.

Can I use the HDHomerun Prime without a cable card and just connect an HD Antenna with it -- will I get at least local live channels? Or do I have to buy like HDHomerun Quatro?

Thanks

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Use HDHomerun Prime without a Cable card

Post by signcarver »

Prime won't work with OTA so if you plan on using an antenna, you will need another tuner as it requires a cable signal as it only can handle qam not atsc (8vsb) which OTA uses in the US (until ATSC 3.0 (OFDM)) . In some markets verizon may have some channels available as clear qam which the prime can tune but I believe many markets discontinued such practice years ago.

Depending on your area, you may also wish to wait for SD's ATSC 3.0 quatro coming out (there was a kick starter that should be delivering units this month and next... from a few different articles it "might" be available at retail as early as September but have also heard by end of year and/or next year).

keplenk

Post by keplenk »

I saw a youtube video about that new ATSC 3.0 quatro and I was thinking about it. I live the tristate area .. about 10 miles from NYC. I checked a map about ATSC 3.0 and it seems that we won't have it yet soon.

Anyway, it looks like I would have to buy something temporary then for us to at least have some live channels until ATSC 3.0 Quatro goes live and our city supports it.

Thank you!

PghCordCutter

Post by PghCordCutter »

Sell the Prime and buy the new Quatro. Since SD is no longer producing them, I am sure you would get a decent price on Ebay!

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

keplenk wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:48 pm
Hello,

I'm planning to cut the cord and only have internet only and will mostly do streaming. My current setup is HDHomerun Prime with Verizon FIOS cable card which worked great for the last 3 years.

Can I use the HDHomerun Prime without a cable card and just connect an HD Antenna with it -- will I get at least local live channels? Or do I have to buy like HDHomerun Quatro?

Thanks
HDhomerun are worth more now compared to what you paid for them

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb »

We'd be happy to swap a refurbished HDHomeRun QUATRO for your Prime, if you'd like. And we pay shipping.

joeperegrin
Device ID: HDHR5-2US: 1067E581 HDHR5-4US: 10757D9F HDHR5-4US: 10776F95 HDHR3-CC: 131F5968 HDHR3-CC: 131F283D

Post by joeperegrin »

Is this an ongoing public offer or a one time private invitation?

I have a pair of Prime 3 units that I have taken out of service about a year ago. My wife has been after me to do something with them so that she can reclaim the space.

I would be interested in participating in a swap if the invitation remains open ended.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Offer is open - drop a quick email to support@silicondust.com

Nick