Pixelation on Bottom of Picture

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
DisneyFanatic4

Re: Pixelation on Bottom of Picture

Post by DisneyFanatic4 »

nickk,

Any updates on reviewing our recordings? Should we reach out to Channels and Plex support for resolution? If so, what is the best way of expressing what this issue is so I can communicate it to their support teams?

DisneyFanatic4

Post by DisneyFanatic4 »

nickk,

So I've done further testing and I discovered something interesting.

On Apple TV 4K with both the Channels app and the Plex app, the pixelation occurs on the Disney channel.
On Roku TV with both the HDHomeRun app and the Plex app, the pixelation does NOT occur on the Disney channel.
On MacBook Pro in Google Chrome watching live tv from Plex, the pixelation occurs on the Disney channel.

Is there any way to downgrade the firmware on my Prime's to the previous versions for testing only?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Nothing in the PRIME's firmware would affect that. It's most certainly a software issue.

DisneyFanatic4

Post by DisneyFanatic4 »

So I just downloaded the HDHomeRun app on my iPhone, and I'm able to replicate the pixelation on the Disney channel. I couldn't replicate it on the Roku app, but I'm able to on the iOS app. This would lead me to believe it could still be a firmware issue since it's happening on multiple platforms and multiple software vendors.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

DisneyFanatic4 - I was able to reproduce the problem.

When played on a Windows 10 PC with hardware decode or with VLC the video plays perfectly.

When played with software decode there are minor glitches at the bottom of the screen in places.

Looks to be a software bug in the app - we are investigating.

Nick

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

Hi Nick, did you find any problems with the sample I sent? If there is a software issue, like an ffmpeg thing, knowing what it is/was will help me to let the folks that control such things know what might need to be done to fix it.

Thank you as always!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

djp952 - I think your sample is showing a different problem.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

nickk wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:34 pm
djp952 - I think your sample is showing a different problem.
Isn't that pretty much always the case with me? LOL :)

Whatever you can find out, I will do what I can to help the community at large to fix it provided it's a software issue, which seems likely. Any info will be greatly appreciated and acted upon as best I am able ...

tmm1

Post by tmm1 »

This appears to be a bug in ffmpeg's software mpeg2 decoder. I have filed a bug report here: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/8792