Bought used hdhomerun expand, vctnumber/guide is totally different range than my primary after scan.

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
wazer

Bought used hdhomerun expand, vctnumber/guide is totally different range than my primary after scan.

Post by wazer »

Hi so, how can i get the vctnumber/guide to be same range as my primary expand.

I tried setting up wrong Qam and frequency to make channels disappear under lineup and then rescan with correct qam and frequenecy but not matter what all channels comes in with vctnumber/guide 5xxx on "new used one".

With my primary they start from 1 and down to 200, and a radios at 5xxx, I also did a rescan on that device and vctnumber/guide was still 1 > 200 > 5000.

When i first got the used expand, I could see what the person had used before but I was also surprised to see a function under lineup.html that I could switch network ID and there was loads of them? It disappeared after the first successful scan.

I saw this thread, but how can you use this?

viewtopic.php?t=4072

Is there anyway to import the file that is saved here C:\ProgramData\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\Digital Cable.xml to another device ?

Last question, how can you reset a unit to factory default settings, if you cannot, can we get this as a feature?

Both units is the same hardware
Model: HDHR3-4DC
Firmware: 20200521

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Bought used hdhomerun expand, vctnumber/guide is totally different range than my primary after scan.

Post by signcarver »

Any number that shows up in the 5000's is considered random and may vary by device (basically adding them in order found but subsequent scans will often add new channels to the end (or replacing a channel no longer there) maintaining the previously found channels. If you must have access to the 5000 channels I suggest using software that isn't dependent on such scan. There is nothing about the xml saved on the computer that can be used by software that uses the modern method of tuning that depends on the device providing the lineup... but the data is usable by third party apps that can use such. I know when I used to have clear qam available I could often get the 5000 channels to more likely match if I first ran a scan without anything connected to clear out the lineup then run the scan at approximately the same time on each... that might not be desirable in your situation as it may mess up your first device. I have not had the pleasure of changing network id on the expand as it has been years since I have used one and that ability has only been around for almost 2 years.

wazer

Re: Bought used hdhomerun expand, vctnumber/guide is totally different range than my primary after scan.

Post by wazer »

signcarver wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:04 pm
Any number that shows up in the 5000's is considered random and may vary by device (basically adding them in order found but subsequent scans will often add new channels to the end (or replacing a channel no longer there) maintaining the previously found channels. If you must have access to the 5000 channels I suggest using software that isn't dependent on such scan. There is nothing about the xml saved on the computer that can be used by software that uses the modern method of tuning that depends on the device providing the lineup... but the data is usable by third party apps that can use such. I know when I used to have clear qam available I could often get the 5000 channels to more likely match if I first ran a scan without anything connected to clear out the lineup then run the scan at approximately the same time on each... that might not be desirable in your situation as it may mess up your first device. I have not had the pleasure of changing network id on the expand as it has been years since I have used one and that ability has only been around for almost 2 years.
I'm confused by reading your reply.

I do not own 5000 channels I just want my channels to start from 1 so they match the other device so I do not have to provide 2 different m3u files for my devices, and only being the IP i need to change.

My channels(101) are found after around 30% into searching at qam264 6875

My network ID is 100

I tried search on both devices at the same time with the primary being first and sub being second right away, still does not change anything.

Any mod/dev/admin to help out here?

wazer

Post by wazer »

Okay man this was a MESSY thing.

So apparently this is messed up if you buy a used product and the other person had multiple lineups in his detection network.

So when I got it home and got it started up first time I could see the ID selection under http://x.x.x.x/lineup.html with all his personal channels starting at 5xxx, but when i decided to do a new scan the ID selection disappeared as i originally wrote in start of topic.

But the bugger here is that the ID that was shown was 71, it was kept after my new scan but was hidden, i checked the html code and saw 71.

<div id="networkOpt" style="display: none;">Network ID: <select id="network"><option selected="selected">71</option></select></div>

Checked firmware changelogs and found this

Release 20180817:
HDHR3-4DC/HDHR5-4DC: Support user-selection of network ID when multiple lineups are detected.

So started fiddling with commands and found

Used command
hdhomerun_config.exe discover

Got my device i wanted to control

Used command
hdhomerun_config.exe x.x.x.x get help

Found /lineup/network_id in the print out

Used command
hdhomerun_config.exe x.x.x.x get /lineup/network_id

As expected was giving ID 71

Right away I tried giving it 0 (thinking it would reset)

Used command
hdhomerun_config.exe x.x.x.x set /lineup/network_id "0"

I used get again to see if 0 had been set.

Used command

Shows 0

Voila it worked.

Now if it could be 0 it could also be 100 as I was looking for.

Tried to set it to 100 but gave me ERROR: invalid network id

Started to get frustrated and thought I had broken something, since no matter what ID i gave it, it simply would not change.

So just for the sake of it I did new scan... waiting... When I saw immediately that all my guide/numbers started to show from 1 instead of 5xxx YEESSSSS!!!!

After scan was finished I was missing only 3 channels and redid the scan, Voila all 101 channels was now showing correctly as my other unit!

One last thing I did was to use get command again

Used command

Now shows 100

I'm done, after 14 hours messing around with cables, rebooting systems etc...

Finally complete.

Maybe add this to wiki and let us choose to repair/factory reset the unit to 100% default factory settings.

What do you think @nickk
nickk wrote:

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

I think you need to upgrading to the latest firmware - recommend upgrading both units.

Once upgraded run a channel scan - when it completes you should see an option to select the Network ID on the Channel Line page.

Nick

wazer

Post by wazer »

nickk wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:08 pm
I think you need to upgrading to the latest firmware - recommend upgrading both units.

Once upgraded run a channel scan - when it completes you should see an option to select the Network ID on the Channel Line page.

Nick
Both units are running Firmware: 20200521 as written in first post, and I have never seen selection of network ID, only when I did add this used unit from another person, but its no longer there.

So would this be a bug then if I don't see them at all, I always update the firmware the day I get update from the subscribed forum thread.

vid
https://streamable.com/x6oreg

vid - inspecting lineup.html
https://streamable.com/lkbzeb

btw. did you see my post viewtopic.php?p=360901#p360901
Last edited by wazer on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

It looks like there is only one network ID on the cable system, which is why it isn't giving you a choice.

Nick

wazer

Post by wazer »

nickk wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:47 pm
It looks like there is only one network ID on the cable system, which is why it isn't giving you a choice.

Nick
Sure thing, but the network ID was kept on 71 I could see that by using the command to retrieve it and I found it hidden under the lineup.html.

So that must be a bug since it kept the network Id even after countless of rescan and trying multiple ways to hard reboot and tell it via command to reboot.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Ok, that does sound like a problem. I will file a bug report.

Nick