Change IP address on HDHomeRun Prime

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
brainbarker

Change IP address on HDHomeRun Prime

Post by brainbarker »

Greetings all,

I feel like I'm being especially thick here, but after much searching around, I can not find a way to change the IP address of my Prime. It's stuck at an address that's not convenient on my home network. Can someone tell me how I can change it, or (better still) switch it to DHCP mode?

Many thanks!

stuartm

Re: Change IP address on HDHomeRun Prime

Post by stuartm »

The Prime is in DHCP mode, that is the only mode it has. Powering it off and back on should make it get a new IP address from your server. Note the server might just give it back the same IP it had before. If you want the Prime at an IP address you specify; the only way is to use IP reservations that many routers have where you configure your router to always hand the Prime a set IP address. (I do this for my Primes)

jig

Post by jig »

stuartm wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:22 pm
The Prime is in DHCP mode, that is the only mode it has. Powering it off and back on should make it get a new IP address from your server. Note the server might just give it back the same IP it had before. If you want the Prime at an IP address you specify; the only way is to use IP reservations that many routers have where you configure your router to always hand the Prime a set IP address. (I do this for my Primes)
you might need the MAC address of the HDHRP to do this. some routers auto-fill it for you, some don't, but typically they always have some list of DHCP assigned IPs and their corresponding MAC address. if you need to, you can get the MAC address from the HDHRP itself - it's on a sticker on the bottom, or you can get it from the viewer app (it's listed on the config page).

i can't remember if the HDHRP can operate easily across subnets, so something to consider.

brainbarker

Post by brainbarker »

As expected, I was being a doofus. After rebooting, it showed up in my router's connection list, and I was able to give it a permanent DHCP assignment. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction!

BTW, loving this gadget so far! Our TiVO kicked the bucket, and the Prime took over the CableCard without a hitch. Livin' large. :-)