NAS Storage Nightmare

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
x60hz11

NAS Storage Nightmare

Post by x60hz11 »

Hi all. Was wondering if anyone could tell me how to properly configure my setup for using a WD My Book drive. I do not own an integrated NAS system and at $250 or more, I don't see myself buying one. However my Netgear router does support it. Theoretically I would think I should just be able to plug one of my 6TB drives into one of the USB ports on the back of my router and it would be seen. I have it setup like that now using the drive as a shared network drive across my network. The problem I'm having is when I run the HD HomeRun setup to store video on a NAS drive, it throws an error. "SMBD not present or not running". Not much on the web about this but I did come to discover this may be a SAMBA issue. My SAMBA server setting is running though. I am running DD-WRT in my router. I played with a bunch of different settings and can't get it passed that error. I am mystified!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: NAS Storage Nightmare

Post by signcarver »

You do not want to run the engine on a router... it has many more important things to do.

Network Storage (as a location) isn't supported as there are too many things that can go wrong with directory notification and is why the storage must be local to the engine.

Your best bet to use such drive is with a computer or an nvidia shield. but personally I strongly recommend an internal drive or esata, not USB.

x60hz11

Post by x60hz11 »

Thanks!! This did cross my mind as well.
So how's this for a solution... I was thinking about picking up a raspberry pi with a internal drive. Now if I did this, the video would be stored on that drive right? No matter which TV I was watching it on. I'm not so interested in recording shows as I am pausing, rewinding and ff'g live tv. My other TVs are using Firesticks running Kodi with the Zuki HD Home Run addon.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

There are people who use the pi... In the past I strongly recommended only a few streams for it but with the latest gen (4) as it has ethernet (not using usb) and usb 3 for storage. I believe a new 8GB variant came out recently but that would be overkill for the DVR (but perhaps you had some other things in mind to do with it)

x60hz11

Post by x60hz11 »

So yeah. That seems to be the best option. Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

The Pi 4 makes for an excellent DVR option. The generic linux instructions ( https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:linux ) work great on Raspbian (now called Raspberry Pi OS).

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Also the HDHomeRun SERVIO (2TB) is a good choice.

Nick