HDHomeRun Quatro and Synology NAS

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
asotv

HDHomeRun Quatro and Synology NAS

Post by asotv »

Hi.

I have a Synology NAS DS118 with a HDHomeRun Quattro.

I first used it for live TV with PLEX, however the service was not reliable so I switched to Channels DVR which is great.

PLEX now say they have improved their live TV offer and I would like to try it.

Can I connect and run Channels DVR live TV and PLEX live TV with my HDHomeRun Quattro at the same time?

Thank you for your help.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun Quatro and Synology NAS

Post by NedS »

It should work. Both will attempt to access an available tuner for live TV or a recording. If there aren't any free tuners, such as if one of the programs is using them all, then the other program won't be able to record or view live TV.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

[removed by moderator]

asotv

Post by asotv »

Thank you all for your input.

@jasonl
I chose the DS118 because PLEX is supposed to work on it and I only needed it for live TV. It works fine with Channels DVR so while it may not be the best or most powerful option, crap it isn't.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

I looked up the specs - the DiskStation DS118 at is a nice looking NAS product. Quad core CPU, 1GB DDR4, and a transcode engine that supports up to 4K input and supports 60fps.

If Plex supports the transcode engine in the DS118 it should work well.

Nick

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Plex doesn't support the transcode engine in the RTD1296 SoC used in the DS118 and other such low-end NASes. Nor does Emby, Channels, or anything else I'm aware of other than the manufacturer-provided video apps. So while Plex will run on it, it won't run well for anything that requires transcoding except very low res stuff that can be done in software, so that makes it a poor choice for Plex. Fine for the HDHomeRun DVR though since it doesn't do transcoding.