UK: Incorrect channel lineup on HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
englandhruser

UK: Incorrect channel lineup on HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO

Post by englandhruser »

I live on the England side of the England / Scotland Border, when I initially complete a channel lineup scan I get a list of around 190 channels which are quickly reduced to 150. During the scan I can see the English and Scottish versions of the channels, but once the scan completes the list filters and i'm left with the Scottish version of BBC One Scot and ITV Border Scot.

Are there any configuration options which will focus the channel lineup to the correct region? I've read some suggestions that the channel lineup selects the first channel found and when watching the scan operate, BBC One Scot is always found first before BBC One North East and Cumbria.

I've had similar issues on Samsung TVs, but these are now fixed by enabling an option for selecting a country of United Kingdom and a region of England rather than Scotland.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: UK: Incorrect channel lineup on HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO

Post by signcarver »

There is currently no such option for things that rely on the scan as the scan goes by virtual channel number and adds the one with highest resolution followed by signal quality. Third party apps often aren't as reliant of the scan results and may maintain their own lineups.

There have been some comments that they are thinking of possibly selecting such by region but there are a lot of things that also may mess up, particularly if one has multiple devices (set differently) and one expects the software to also understand the concept that the same channel number isn't always the same channel between the devices.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

It's a really simple problem to solve, at least in the UK. There's a data field embedded in each broadcast that identifies which region a particular broadcast belongs to, and the goal of that is to allow TV/tuner makers to allow that field to be selected and only pull in the channels for that particular region. People should definitely continue to push for that to be added to the HDHomeRun firmware.

Roubles

Post by Roubles »

I have exactly the same problem except that I live on the South Coast of England close to France and when I scan the channels the main viewing channels are replaced by French channels, so BBC 1 is the French TF1 channel and BBC 2 becomes F3 Nord. When I first installed the product for some reason it didn't pick up any French channels but now every time I scan I get the same French substitutions. Since BBC is the main viewing channel in the UK it makes the whole product useless, which is a shame as it works very well other than that.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

In the long run we want something to just work easily, maybe auto detect location and choosing the correct TV country (which we already do for guide data, but not channel country). That's a fairly important development philosophy that Nick has set out for the company. That being said, those kinds of solutions will take time, and people are having problems now. So I was thinking about what we might be able to do for the short term:

1) Convince the boss to let us do some kind of advanced/manual option for the HDHomeRun app and DVR service. It might be ugly, but it could be something we could help walk people through as a temp work-around.

2) While this won't help those with DVR service, it is already possible to use a third party app and manually map channels that the HDHomeRun can physically receive. I might, in my own time, throw together a guide this weekend on how to make a custom playlist that can be imported into VLC or Kodi, that will at least give a list of channels and allow them to be viewed live (probably without guide data). It's actually something I've been meaning to do since long before I worked here, back when I used to be with the Kodi group, and we didn't have any easy-to-use Kodi/XBMC add-ons for the HDHomeRun.

Of course, both of those are short term ideas, and the best option is to have something that is either automatic or easily configurable, that works right in the official HDHomeRun app. Rest assure, we annoy Nick and the development team with this request on a near daily basis (along with other requests, like a last channel button).

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Roubles wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:42 pm
I have exactly the same problem except that I live on the South Coast of England close to France and when I scan the channels the main viewing channels are replaced by French channels, so BBC 1 is the French TF1 channel and BBC 2 becomes F3 Nord. When I first installed the product for some reason it didn't pick up any French channels but now every time I scan I get the same French substitutions. Since BBC is the main viewing channel in the UK it makes the whole product useless, which is a shame as it works very well other than that.
Do you not get the UK HD channels in the 100s? Not saying this isn't an issue, just the the overlap between England and France generally isn't as bad as between England and Wales/Scotland or Ireland and Northern Ireland.

smickers

Post by smickers »

I have the same issue (with picking up France). I'm in Brighton UK

I recently tried browsing live TV through emby and it failed to play anything. I checked the web interface of my connect and it had a firmware update waiting. I applied this, then went to the channel lineup and it was mostly french! The last time I did a scan (several months ago when I moved from Plex to Emby) it was all local, with channel 1 being BBC 1.

Right now I've got a mix of English and French channels. I do have the local HD channels (starting at 100) but they do not work (in the Windows HDHomeRun software).

It didn't get French TV before. Either way, it's now useless.

Model: HDHR4-2DT
Firmware: 20200225

Jbj4th74t

Post by Jbj4th74t »

I'm having the same issue and have done since buying the device. I get signals from two UK freeview transmitters and for any other device (pvr/tv) I simply get a question on scanning as to which region I want to use. Simple. But with HD Homerun I nearly always get the wrong region when I scan with no way to change that. I've resorted to using TV Headend as a middle-man between Jellyfin and HD Homerun which allows me to choose the frequencies from the correct transmitter. It works but it's a ridicoulous amount of extra complexity to solve an issue that should be easily dealt with by the tuner device. It's a shame this issue has been outstanding for such a long time now.

jamch

Post by jamch »

+1 - Yes, I've also got this issue, living inbetween two transmitters I end up with the wrong region on BBC1 and ITV.

I can imagine this is a problem for multiple users over the UK who live in the range of two transmitters. I know my parents TV whacks the duplicates in the 800+ channel numbers and allows them to manually change the channel number. My actual LG TV does the scan and then simply pops up a menu asking me if I want East Midlands or West Midlands channels. Really annoying you can see the channel you want pop up on the scan, only for it to dissapear when it's complete.

Once upon a time the HDHomeRun stuck all of the duplicates in the 5000 range (I'm assuming this was a glitch, and not by design) and I could view the correct regional BBC 1 or ITV on using this as a workaround, but it disappeared after a few weeks (I'm assuming after a re-scan took place).

Don't know the technicalities of it, at the end of the day I'm just a end user, and love the HDHR bar this one thing - but it seems every other device can cope with the situation bar the HDHR.

jscholds01

Post by jscholds01 »

Hi All,

First Post. :)

+1 I support being able to select the lcoal transmitter, even if it is means a 'ugly' temp solution.

Not having the option is more of a problem.

Thanks

J