Help: 2 or 3 OTA channel scan methods?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Sion

Help: 2 or 3 OTA channel scan methods?

Post by Sion »

I live in California in the SF bay area, and we are undergoing some big-time channel moves with the FCC repack this week. I'm trying to understand the best way to rescan and understand the changes. I may be receiving new channels I didn't get before, some may go away entirely, and some are going to just move channels/frequencies.

I see two or three different functions that seem to perform some sort of scan, wondering what the difference is, and which to use when:
1) http://http://my.hdhomerun.com/ --> click on hdhr device --> channel lineup --> click "detect channels" This seems to perform a full antenna channel scan, but remembers which stations I set to star/off/on status.
2) HDHomeRun Setup utility/app for Windows: Digital Antenna tab --> Scan button at the top. This seems to perform a full antenna scan, but limited by the channels that are "on" or "starred" in #1 above?
3) HDHomeRun Setup utility/app for Windows: Digital Antenna tab --> "rescan" button at the bottom. Not sure what this does.

Can anyone please explain the differences between these 3 functions, when to use which and why?

Also, what exactly does #1 function "remember" with respect to the favorites & on/off selections I've made? Is it tied to the station's call sign, or the channel it's on? I'm wondering if I should clear the memory somehow (not sure how) and start fresh?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Help: 2 or 3 OTA channel scan methods?

Post by NedS »

Use method 1. It will remember your favorites and blacklisted channels. The other methods will work as well, but aren't needed unless you are using WMC or other legacy Windows app that uses the BDA driver.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

2 just does the same scan as 1 and downloads the result, so anything that is disabled won't be in the list of channels. That method mostly exists for old models that can't scan via the web page. 3 looks for new HDHomeRun devices on your network, so it doesn't have anything to do with the channels themselves. The memory of default/favorite/disabled is by virtual channel number so it isn't a problem if stations move to different frequencies.

Sion

Post by Sion »

jasonl wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:10 pm
2 just does the same scan as 1 and downloads the result, so anything that is disabled won't be in the list of channels. That method mostly exists for old models that can't scan via the web page. 3 looks for new HDHomeRun devices on your network, so it doesn't have anything to do with the channels themselves. The memory of default/favorite/disabled is by virtual channel number so it isn't a problem if stations move to different frequencies.
Great thanks for the hlep!