Trouble loading specific VHF tuning

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
otadude3344

Trouble loading specific VHF tuning

Post by otadude3344 »

Hello. I just received my new HDHomerun HDHR5-2US Connect Duo Dual Tuner,Black and connected it to my network. I loaded up the streaming channel on my Roku payer and immediately saw all of the channels I previously had on my TV except for the ones that broadcast on VHF. After a few minutes those channels did show up but when I click on them nothing happens. I went ahead and connected the HDHomerun to my plex server, scanned for channel and built the guide. In this case, plex was able to pull up all the channels both UHF/VHF. I was able to pull up one of VHF channels which is a main local channel, but not the other one. When I click on the channels it says "Unable to play channel" even though it comes up on the guide and all the program description info is displayed.

I never had an issue loading any UHF/VHF channels with the built in turners for any of my TVs. I am wondering if this is specific to the unit I have or if this a known issue for the HDHomerun, perhaps having a weaker reception for certain broadcasts?

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Re: Trouble loading specific VHF tuning

Post by ebo »

If you have installed the full HDHR software for Windows (not just the Windows 10 app), run hdhomerun_config_gui.exe which is located in the HDHomeRun program directory. BTW, you might want to create a shortcut to it on your desktop. Select an actual, not virtual, channel you're having trouble with to see its signal strength, signal quality and symbol quality. If the VHF channels are borderline, that could be why the TV receives them but the HDHR doesn't. Few inside antennas are designed for VHF despite their ads. Some outside antennas are good for high VHF (7-13) but hardly any are good for 2-6.

OTOH, if the problem channels show 100% strength (the highest the config GUI displays) it's possible the signal is so strong that it's overloading the HDHR. A TV deals with that with an Automatic Gain Control but the HDHR can't. In that case you could try reducing the signal to the HDHR.

Also, you can arrange to send diagnostics to SiliconDust but I'll leave the details of that to them.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Did you move the cable to the antenna at all? Some of the antennas out there are really just UHF antennas, but the cable itself will act as a crude VHF antenna, and it does often work fairly well (depending on location, of course).

otadude3344

Post by otadude3344 »

I did not move then antenna since it is mounted on my roof, about 20 feet up. As I said, I have never had any issues accessing channels with the built in digital tuners in the TVs. In fact I still have a TV connected directly to the antenna and it is still receiving a strong signal.

I did however go ahead and update the firmware on the HDHomerun and it seemed to have helped since I can no access more channels that are broadcasted on VHF so perhaps that helped?