Hardware for Cable (card)

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
sfrazier

Hardware for Cable (card)

Post by sfrazier »

I am new to the forum. I was looking at the website and found the HD HomeRun Prime 6 but it doesn't look like it's available and hasn't been since it was announced. Is this true? What is available to use with Cable using the card from the provider? It looks like the 3 tuner has been discontinued.

TIA.

3ton

Re: Hardware for Cable (card)

Post by 3ton »

sfrazier wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:57 am
I am new to the forum. I was looking at the website and found the HD HomeRun Prime 6 but it doesn't look like it's available and hasn't been since it was announced. Is this true? What is available to use with Cable using the card from the provider? It looks like the 3 tuner has been discontinued.

TIA.
The 3 tuner is the only one. It still works but you can only get it as a used item.

replayreb

Post by replayreb »

You can usually find the old 3-tuner Prime on eBay for around $200: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=hdhomerun+prime

sfrazier

Post by sfrazier »

Thanks. Is there a reason that the 6 tuner is not out yet?

replayreb

Post by replayreb »

There is but they won't tell us.

sfrazier

Post by sfrazier »

Hmmm. Thanks very much.

Karter

Post by Karter »

3ton wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:45 am
sfrazier wrote:

TIA.
The 3 tuner is the only one. It still works but you can only get it as a used item.
Which worries me... not selling 3 or 6 tuner? wasn't there also talk of a 4 tuner at one time? it all just seems strange that you can't purchase any.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Karter wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:05 am
3ton wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:45 am
sfrazier wrote:

TIA.
Which worries me... not selling 3 or 6 tuner? wasn't there also talk of a 4 tuner at one time? it all just seems strange that you can't purchase any.
The original (3 tuner) had parts that were made by a company which got bought out, and the new parent company didn't want to keep making that part. We started work on a 4 tuner version that never saw the light of day, and I don't think we even hinted at it at the time, for similar supply reasons (ouch). The PRIME6 has a secured supply line for all the parts, but is not ready yet for various reasons that I can't go into, but Nick has assured us that the PRIME6 is still very much an active endeavor that will one day see the light of day, hopefully sooner than later.

sfrazier

Post by sfrazier »

Thanks very much for the update. Hopefully soon.

jdh_dfd

Post by jdh_dfd »

Any update on the availability of the Prime 6?

My equipment took a power surge this afternoon and I lost one (of 2) Prime3 units (red network light).
If the 6 is coming out anytime soon, I will wait. But if it is going to be 6 months, then I will have to look at ebay.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

jdh_dfd,
It's possible that the power surge damaged the Prime3's power supply. Try swapping supplies with the good one. But first you should measure the supply's voltage to make sure it isn't above 5.25V no-load, so that it won't damage your good unit. You could also try swapping Ethernet cables.

If you don't have a voltmeter but there's a Harbor Freight store near you, they have inexpensive ones. Sometimes even cheaper with a coupon.

jdh_dfd

Post by jdh_dfd »

Have already tried swapping out all the pieces between the working and non (PS, cat5, cable card, coax).
Power supplies were on APC UPS 1000 so I suspect it may have been a lightening strike nearby that came in over the coax. Other prime and Modem were fine.
Did not have my coax surge hooked up like I should have.