Inconsistent sound output from two HDHR4-2US

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mjigmond

Inconsistent sound output from two HDHR4-2US

Post by mjigmond »

I'm having an odd issue with the sound from two different units HDHR4-2US. On one unit I get proper 5.1 audio (VLC reports Channels: 3F2M/LFE) on one channel but on the other unit I only get stereo sound (VLC reports Channels: Stereo) on the same channel. At first I thought it was related to the splitter but I removed the splitter and tested each unit on the main line, unfortunately with the same results. Other channels have identical audio (5.1) on both units and the tests were done on identical programming. Is this a firmware bug or a hardware issue with the second unit? Both units are on the latest firmware, 20200225. Anyone else experiencing this?

I noticed this when some of my Plex recordings caused the audio receiver to switch to stereo from Dolby Digital. I removed Plex from the equation and tested the streams directly via VLC and that's how I discovered the issue.

jasonl
Expert

Re: Inconsistent sound output from two HDHR4-2US

Post by jasonl »

Audio gets passed untouched by the hardware. Whatever you're seeing is either what the station is doing or something with your software setup.

mjigmond

Re: Inconsistent sound output from two HDHR4-2US

Post by mjigmond »

Thanks. I've rescanned the channels on both units and the discrepancy is gone, not sure if that had anything to do with it.