Channel Scan

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
fonrob

Channel Scan

Post by fonrob »

Please Help,
I just purchased hdhomerun when I do a channel scan from myhdhomerun it does not find fox. But when I scan with my old channel master it finds fox and plays with clear reception. With channel master when I look at signal strength and quality both say 100%. Any idea if there is a setting change. What can be done. I have ordered a 2nd antenna but it will take a month to get here.

Plan to join two antenna
New antenna

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024 ... UTF8&psc=1

Current antenna

https://www.amazon.com/Vansky-Outdoor-M ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

gtb
Expert

Re: Channel Scan

Post by gtb »

Some times the signal can actually be too strong (and if your previous device shows 100%, that could be the issue). Since your current antenna appears to have an amp, disconnect the amp to reduce the signal levels and see if things change, or try adding a pad.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Your current antenna is amplified and is most likely overloading the HDHomeRun. That specific model keeps showing up when customers have complaints, because not only does it create too hot of a signal, the cheap amp introduces a lot of noise. I think Antenna Man on YouTube has a video about why he hates them, that goes further and also talks about the cheap constructions and failing motors. They're popular, but they're not good.

Your new antenna looks to be much better. A nice, simple, yagi antenna with no major plastic parts and no built-in signal amplifier. I think you will be much happier with the new antenna, for multiple reasons.

fonrob

Post by fonrob »

Thanks for the Reply's I did disconnect the amp re-scanned but no channels came in. I will check again when the new antenna gets here.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

fonrob wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:26 pm
Thanks for the Reply's I did disconnect the amp re-scanned but no channels came in. I will check again when the new antenna gets here.
That's probably just the power injector. The actual amp itself is built-into the plastic enclosure in the antenna itself.