Max Input Voltage: Quatro Connect

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
flemingkr

Max Input Voltage: Quatro Connect

Post by flemingkr »

I know the power supply for the Quatro is 5VDC, and I know the unit itself says Input: 5VDC. But, I wonder if the unit can handle 12VDC just the same--lots of standard electronic components from the Old Days could handle a very wide range of operating voltages, so I'd like to know if the Connect can actually deal with a 12 volt supply.

Reason I ask is that I have a very compact space that all my gear is jammed into, and by using a small Astron 12 VDC power supply, I've been able to get rid of about 6 wall warts so far--they are all 12VDC. I have only two items left: the p/s for the Connect, and the power injector for my internet dish which runs on some weird 26VDC or something, which I can't do anything about.

Can we get a call into Engineering? :D

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Re: Max Input Voltage: Quatro Connect

Post by ebo »

NO, NO, NO!! (yes, I'm shouting). Putting 12v into any of the 5v HDHR models will destroy it. And BTW, I looked up Astron power supplies and they say that their "12v" models actually put out 13.8v. That *might* not damage one of SD's 12v models such as the Extend but I wouldn't risk it.

I suppose you could replace the Astron with an ATX or similar computer power supply which puts out both 12v and 5v. But I think you'd be better off to just use the Quatro's supply.

However, there are other possible issues. If you have a lot of equipment crammed into a small space, there's likely to be damage from overheating. Also, RF interference from the other devices could affect your TV reception.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The allowable input voltage range is 4.75V to 5.25V.

To power from a 12V source you will need a 12V to 5V dc converter / switching regulator, preferably not overrated too much for current to keep the noise down.

Something like this might work (untested, just looking at the specs):
https://www.amazon.com/NOYITO-Waterproo ... 07HCW4QG9/

Nick

flemingkr

Post by flemingkr »

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Not a huge issue for me...I can figure out a different power strip to put the two remaining power supplies on. Yeah, the guy that built my place apparently liked everything done this way...I call him Mr Zero Clearance. All the kitchen appliances are shoe-horned in so tight you have to disassemble the cabinetry to pull em out. 🙂