HDPrime Missing Some Comcast Channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ralphq

HDPrime Missing Some Comcast Channels

Post by ralphq »

I've seen several posts about this recently and also have noticed some of my HD Channels are missing on the HDhomerun but are accessible via their web streaming service. Comcast must have made some changes because in my area channel 1740 used to be TeenNick SD, Now its TeenNick HD. When it was in SD it showed up but now that it's HD is not showing up. Missing other channels in HD such as CMt and MTV2. There are others but you get the idea.

I rebooted the HDhomerun, Reinserted my cable card, rescaned multiple times still they don't show up.

Anyone know why this is happening and how to resolve it?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDPrime Missing Some Comcast Channels

Post by NedS »

Please run through these steps to turn on diagnostics information and do a channel scan, then reply back with your Device ID printed on the bottom of your HDHomeRun: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... _platforms

ralphq

Post by ralphq »

Hi Thanks

Device iD: 13217392

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

CMT in HD shows up as channel 883 for Comcast in your area, and that shows up as "not-subscribed" in the scan. 145 is CMT in SD, and that shows as subscribed. I've never heard of Comcast charging more for an HD version of a channel per-channel, so my money is on Comcast having messed up what channels are supposed to be associated with your CableCARD. If Comcast's CableCARD team is still up and running, they should be able to fix it over the phone pretty fast.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

In a phased transition, in some locations, there is a more subtle issue that is going on. As Comcast is transitioning some HD channels from QAM to IPTV they are *supposed* to be removing the HD channel numbers from the legacy STBs and CableCARD maps (leaving just the SD channel number), while leaving the previous HD channel numbers only available on their newer X1 branded boxen which can access IPTV, all to avoid confusion (but they added a new confusion). However, while they seem to get it right for their legacy STBs, they are reportedly not getting it consistently right for the CableCARDs, so you can end up with various hilarity. Typically Comcast announces the IPTV transition in the bill (in the section no one (other than the ten of us) reads, but it is in there), and likely in some past bill they mentioned MTV2 and the Nick's (and most of the newer HD channels they have added over the last few months), and if they did the same with CMT it should be in there (small print, it is always the small print).

ralphq

Post by ralphq »

Ok thanks for the information. This gives me something to approach them with.

I will contact Comcast on Monday and see how it goes. Wish me luck I think I'm going to need it.

ralphq

Post by ralphq »

Ok so Comcast is moving channels to IPTV and this is not compatible with cablecards. The channels I lost have all moved to IPTV.

Is this true that cablecards can not be updated to include these channels? Will SiliconDust tuners support this technology? I mean this must effect **** boxes also.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

ralphq wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:28 pm
Is this true that cablecards can not be updated to include these channels?
IPTV is proprietary (same reason you need to use the Netflix app for Netflix, the Hulu app for Hulu, the Xfinity app for ....) and the data comes across in an completely different path (IP), and not linear QAM which is what CableCARD technology supports.
.... I mean this must effect **** boxes also.
It does impact the T vendor boxes. There have been a large number of grumblings from those (in some cases previous) T vendor owners on one/more T vendor centric forums with MSOs that have moved, or are moving, to various IPTV content delivery (some smaller cable companies dropped TV entirely telling people to go subscribe to some OTT), along with the grumblings from Comcast customers when the T vendor no longer could support (the Comcast proprietary version of) on-demand content due to a combinations of "differences" and/or some of the on-demand content moving to IPTV.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

ralphq wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:28 pm
Ok so Comcast is moving channels to IPTV and this is not compatible with cablecards. The channels I lost have all moved to IPTV.

Is this true that cablecards can not be updated to include these channels? Will SiliconDust tuners support this technology? I mean this must effect **** boxes also.
Honestly, I don't know how it's even legal for cable companies to do this.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

NedS wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:00 pm
I am sure you don't. But this gives you an opportunity to actually read the laws and regulations and educate yourself.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

gtb wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:08 am
NedS wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:00 pm
I am sure you don't. But this gives you an opportunity to actually read the laws and regulations and educate yourself.
I understand the laws, but what I mean is it *shouldn't* be legal, at least not the way they are going about it. Comcast is trying to argue that their Roku TV client is an alternative for allowing consumer owned equipment (they don't currently charge a fee, but they have indicated that they might in the future, so who knows), but access via an app isn't the same thing what someone gets from CableCARD. Mainly, that there is no way to record those channels without using Comcast's cloud DVR, which is slow, buggy, and restricts the customer in what they can do with legal recordings. CableCARD is far from perfect, but at least it used to put everyone on an even playing field. Then came the IPTV-based exceptions, and now here we are.

We had an FCC that was pushing the cable industry in the right direction (slowly... very slowly), but now we have an FCC that is doing the opposite. I'll just leave it at that.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

The FCC has been in the pocket of the industry for at least a couple decades now. Some of the commissioners have been slightly less terrible than the others, but none of them have been working in favor of consumers. If they actually gave a crap about us, the changes that resulted in CableCARD would have applied across all subscription services, not just traditional cable. AT&T and other DSL/fiber providers doing IPTV had never been required to open things up the way cable did. Comcast just finally got around to stealing enough bandwidth from TV service to make IPTV over HFC viable.

ralphq

Post by ralphq »

This is all bad but Comcast is cutting off their nose to despite their face. I had PlayStation Vue and when it shutdown I went to Cable TV with HDhomerun and Emby as my TV solution and I'm very happy with it. It's actually cheaper than the IPTV services. Right now I have not lost any of what I consider critical channels but as soon as I do I'm dropping Comcast and going back to an IPTV solution and it won't be Comcast's app unless they have a competitive price with cloud DVR to whats already out there and I don't see that happening.

Silicon dust and other companies like that T company need to get together and figure something out to stop this move otherwise the only business they will have is OTA.