I can't access my recordings when my Shield is in sleep mode

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Phoenixfury

I can't access my recordings when my Shield is in sleep mode

Post by Phoenixfury »

I don't know when this problem started but it seems maybe in the last month or so. This is what is occurring.

When I run the HDHomerun app on my phone, it only shows the record option and my recordings only when my Nvidia Shield (2017) is awake. My Nvidia Shield is working as my HDHomerun's server for the recordings. It is only when the Shield is awake that the record option and recordings are available on other devices. If I open the app on my phone or tablet while the Shield is awake then put it asleep, the record option is still available and so are the recordings until I close the app on either device. I can play any recording this way perfectly fine like there is no problem. If I close the app and reopen while the Shield is in sleep mode, it's like the DVR and Record options are no longer available.

I've went through all of my settings on the Shield and can not find anything that could be an issue. Heck I even set the USB port the hard drive is on to never sleep.

My hardware I'm using is the Nvidia Shield (2017)
WD Mybook 4TB external hard drive
HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO 10733C95

NedS
Silicondust

Re: I can't access my recordings when my Shield is in sleep mode

Post by NedS »

Strange, I am unable to reproduce, but I will see what I can find out.

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

I just created a quick video demonstrating this issue. It doesn't matter if it's my bedroom Shield, phone, or tablet. They all can't connect to my living room Shield where the server resides if it's asleep.

https://youtu.be/2-cA9w9Uq8I

Bedroom tv
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VreaMzDoU7y9ok4h8

Living room TV aka HDomerun server which is running on the Shield TV.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8kUKTK1UjUNoe9G37

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Buried somewhere in the Shield settings are options to turn the USB ports off when the device goes to sleep. Do you have those set to stay on?

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

I do have them set on. I know this would be necessary to keep from disconnecting from the hard drive.

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

Sorry but I need to bump this because this is a serious problem for me now.

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

I resolved my own issue but I'm shocked I didn't notice what was wrong in the first place.

Normally I have my Nvidia Shield connected by ethernet but somehow it got flagged for wifi. I don't know how it got switched but it was switched to wifi regardless. Well when the Shield sleeps, it powers down it's wifi which of course explains why I couldn't access my HDHomerun DVR server. Well anyhow I think my wifi router rebooted and my Shield complained that it couldn't connect to wifi. I was rather surprised. I checked and sure enough it had been connected to WIFI for the past couple of months. Oops! Well anyhow now that I'm back on the ethernet everything seems fine. Thanks again for your assistance.