Suddenly degrading signal, bad antenna?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
dryheat122

Suddenly degrading signal, bad antenna?

Post by dryheat122 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:07 am

I have an HDHR Duo set up with a Mexonga HD antenna I bought on Amazon. Everything was working fine for some time but it has started failing or producing artifacts , especially on higher numbered channels like 10 and 12. This is without changing anything. Today I had some signal problems on 8.

At first I suspected it was an HDHR problem, but I wonder if the antenna could be failing. It is powered so it has electronics that could degrade. I fear there is no way to tell short of buying/testing another antenna. Anyone know of an alternative--maybe some diagnostics on the HDHR--that would indicate a bad antenna? It seems that at one time silicondust had an Android app that would analyze signal strength, but they discontinued it.

gtb
Expert

Re: Suddenly degrading signal, bad antenna?

Post by gtb » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:49 am

dryheat122 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:07 am
Everything was working fine for some time but it has started failing or producing artifacts , especially on higher numbered channels like 10 and 12.
Spring also brings foliage, and the fresnel zone may matter.
especially on higher numbered channels like 10 and 12.
Virtual or real RF channel? And have your stations recently repacked (which could have changed the RF frequencies, and some antennas do better with different TV bands).
It seems that at one time silicondust had an Android app that would analyze signal strength, but they discontinued it.
That was a 3rd party app (had nothing to do with SiliconDust), and AFAIK the developer never documented why s/he discontinued it. However, you can do about the same thing manually using the cli.