HD scribe Quatro channel low signal

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
NewGuy_new_homerun

HD scribe Quatro channel low signal

Post by NewGuy_new_homerun » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:04 pm

New user here,
Got a scribe Quatro, and am having issues with signal channel. Setup went smooth I scanned and got my channels. I added a split (tolmnnts 1 in 2 out) and unit worked well for about 1 hour, then it began saying that signal was low. Re-scan channels and now total channels are less. Connected the antenna direct (removing the split) and channels are still less than original. I updated firmware and got a few extra channels but not all that I had originally. My tv does show them (so assume signal strength has not change). The split adds about 4 feet of additional cable. One going to the tv and one going to scribe unit.

What other options exist to troubleshoot or test why scribe lost most of the channel while tv is still get them.
Thanks

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HD scribe Quatro channel low signal

Post by NedS » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:25 pm

Please enable diagnostic data and reply back with your Device ID: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... _platforms

NewGuy_new_homerun

Post by NewGuy_new_homerun » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:08 pm

Just submitted logs.

Device ID
1520392F

Another question (don't know if this is expected behavior). On further testing, If I have the tv off and nothing streaming from the appletv, then we get low signal and the hdhomerun app doesn't show anything). The moment I turn on the tv and start watching tv through my quatro then I get all signals.

Full environment

TV LG (no network connection)
AppleTV (network via ethernet)
iphone/ipad (network via wifi)

Flat antenna with some sort of amplifier connected to usb port of tv, the splitt that goes one line to the TV and the other one to the Quatro

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:22 pm

Did you just state you are powering your amp of the antenna through the USB port of the TV... no wonder there is no signal when the tv is powered off.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:35 pm

Avoid those USB-powered amplifiers that come with the inexpensive flat antennas all together. They do more damage than help for the signal.

NewGuy_new_homerun

Post by NewGuy_new_homerun » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:49 pm

Damn, wasn't aware of that issue. I guess I have to buy a proper antenna. I replaced the usb of the tv with a generic one that connects to a power plug, and now it works. I tested and the "flat" antenna does not provide signal without amplification.

Thanks for the help

jseymour

Post by jseymour » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:53 am

NedS wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:35 pm
Avoid those USB-powered amplifiers that come with the inexpensive flat antennas all together. They do more damage than help for the signal.
We're using Winegard FlatWave Amped antennas in our home. I put them in to avoid the exercise of running coax all over pre-HDHR. We also have one on the main TV with a switch to switch between it and the rooftop antenna. Under certain weather conditions it used to provide more stable reception than the rooftop antenna. (Since the channel repack that's probably no longer true.) The only stations for which these antennas do not perform as well as the rooftop antenna are those thirty-forty miles away or more.

The amplifiers are USB-powered, but the antenna comes with a wall wart, which we use.

For reference: Our stations are mostly 10-16 miles away on mostly the same bearing from here. None are on VHF-Low.

Caveats: 1. I've never tried the non-amplified version of the FlatWave. 2. I've never used the FlatWave Amped on an HDHR tuner.