Old HDHomerun Dual - channel editing

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ericgrand

Old HDHomerun Dual - channel editing

Post by ericgrand » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:40 am

Hi!

My HDHomerun Dual (EU) is running for years now, being I believe an early adopter in France.
It went through numerous power supply but it is still working fine.
Previously used with Windows Media Center configuration, I have switched to an Nvidia Shield.
I'm using it to watch DVB-T channel.

My concern is that some multiplex are tuned 3 times, with various quality from various transmitter. While my TV tuner and my Internet BOx (freebox) are able to always display the best channel (or at list offer to edit/lock some channels), there is not such feature on the HDHomeRun interface. And the display is always the worst channel (with diffecrence of more than 50% in quality, not just close)...

Is there a way to prevent such behaviour? Watching live TV through the shield is just impossible...

THanks in advance!

shawn_75

Re: Old HDHomerun Dual - channel editing

Post by shawn_75 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:42 am

I don't currently have a Dual model and newer firmware may have changed this, but you could disable channels using the HDHomerun Setup program on a Windows PC. The Digital Antenna tab had checkboxes beside each channel to select whether or not to show it in the guide.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:14 pm

There is absolutely no possible way to edit (disable) channels of legacy devices like you can with modern devices... the ability to "support" legacy in the modern apps is nothing more than a "hack" to point a LineupURL to SD's servers since the device itself has no management. What gets sent to SD is the results of the scan from a windows machine.

In reading your post, I am kind of surprised that SD doesn't process the scan the same way that it does on modern tuners in that provided the channels are of the same resolution, it would use the one with the best signal quality (at time of scan... if different resolution it chooses the one with higher resolution) but they may process such differently (such as always choosing the first or last of that virtual channel number, but I wouldn't think so). Your only hope for applications that only use the LineupURL is to prevent the scan from seeing the ones you don't want (such as by re-aiming the antenna, use of notch filters, etc.). The only possibility of something you might be able to do would be a man in the middle approach that monitors requests to SD but then returns your own custom lineup when clients request such but that has other possible problems.

In general you would want a more modern tuner if you wish to use SD's software . But even then when multiple signals have the same virtual channel number, you are at the mercy of the scan results. (my personal recommendation, that is frowned upon by SD, is to never even update a legacy device so it is even capable of being used with the "hack" to make it "semi-compatible" with the modern software).

Your other option is to use software that was written to provide their own lineups rather than just using the one from SD (typically those that were around when 2nd and 3rd gen tuners were prevalent, though there have been some more modern ones, most modern software depends on the http tuning that the legacy devices will never do but a few still allow some customization)

ericgrand

Post by ericgrand » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:31 am

shawn_75 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:42 am
I don't currently have a Dual model and newer firmware may have changed this, but you could disable channels using the HDHomerun Setup program on a Windows PC. The Digital Antenna tab had checkboxes beside each channel to select whether or not to show it in the guide.
Unfortunately this feature is not available...

Signcarver, thanks for your detailed analysis. I understand better the way it works now. I may have to investigate if using Kodi instead of Live channels from Google may allow me to customize the channel list at software level.
Regarding a more modern tuner, I'm not a big fan of throwing away a functional device to replace it just for a specific feature.