Nothing Can See This HomeRun

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
flemingkr

Nothing Can See This HomeRun

Post by flemingkr » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:19 pm

So I found a tv in the house that will run the HomeRun app and the Plex app--a Sony Bravia. So I got that goin for me. The myHDHomerun site shows that the box has found 33 channels, and all looks good. But nothing finds any 'devices' on the network. That is, neither any HDHomerun app on the iphone or the Sony detects the tuners. So as a result I think, plex doesn't display any option to connect to it, and of course the homerun app doesn't display anything at all. Suggestions?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Nothing Can See This HomeRun

Post by NedS » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:54 am

How is your home network set up? Is everything using one router, or are there multiple routers, access points, mesh networking, network switches, etc?

flemingkr

Post by flemingkr » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:06 am

The Connect was cabled directly into the R7000 wireless router port, and so I changed that: it is now cabled into a port on the mesh node that is wired into the router. That immediately fixed the problem for the HDHomeRun app running on iPad, iPhone and the android TV. Plea still doesn’t, see it, but I think the Plex running on the LG is maybe an ancient version and the one on the Sony doesn’t, even list ‘DVR’ as a settings option.

My config is a tri-band Linksys Velop mesh with 3 nodes, one of which is plugged into a NetGear R7000 witreless router, which is the network access point. That configuration is often a bit cranky, but at this point, my problem seems to only be with Plex. I’ll go over there and bug them with my ignorance 😀. Could be TV firmware is outdated or apps are not configured to auto update.

flemingkr

Post by flemingkr » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:50 am

okay I think Ive figured out that in order to use Plex with Hd Homerun you must also have a plex server ... a subtle thing I have not seen mentioned anywhere in setups other than on a YouTube vid I just saw, AND Plex is not supported on any LG tv less than 4K/UHD units. So this is easy I think: I cancel Plex Pass, take my LG tv to Goodwill, and replace it with and android tv of some kind.