Best setup for OTA on a TV under different router with different IP Class

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
romeo87

Best setup for OTA on a TV under different router with different IP Class

Post by romeo87 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi all,

I’d like to get your opinions on which type of device you suggest for my setup - I read a lot of threads but still not clear.
I have a small studio where I’d like to use HDHR, no antenna available and connection to my home via VPN.

I’m using an extend for OTA purposes, working great from iPhone and iPad via HDHR app inside home. I’d like to get your inputs on:
- what’s the best device to equip the studio TV with (roku? Fire stick? Nvidia?) considering I’ll use it just for OTA
- as if I’m not mistaken it seems it is not possible to state the HDHR device IP in the HDHR app and the studio’s router is under a different IP class (the 2 networks are bridged through a VPN) what is the suggested device/app you suggest?

Thanks a lot!
Romeo

romeo87

Re: Best setup for OTA on a TV under different router with different IP Class

Post by romeo87 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi all,

No one can help me with his view?

Thanks a lot in advance!!
Romeo

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Best setup for OTA on a TV under different router with different IP Class

Post by NedS » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:22 pm

You won't get guide data this way, but you could set up a VLC playlist where each entry is a channel URL, using the channel URLs you get from your HDHomeRun (go to my.hdhomerun.com and click on the channel numbers, and the links in the numbers are channel URLs). Then you can forward port 5004 and access live TV across sub-networks. I would get an Android TV or Fire TV device for this, both of which support VLC.