Watching Live TV on a...TV

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
flemingkr

Watching Live TV on a...TV

Post by flemingkr » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:01 pm

Man, am I super confused. The whole idea (that I had, apparently no one else) was that once the Connect unit was up and running, all I'd need to do was download an app to my smart TV, and be able to watch TV. So, can someone tell me in plain language what I need to do in order to watch live, broadcast TV that is coming in from my antenna thru the Connect box, to the televisions I have that are on my wi-fi network? Do I really have to get an Apple TV or other similar box for each television I have? That sort of defeats my whole purpose of the Connect box.

I went thru the agonzingly painful process of signing up for Plex, and while I can barely tolerate having to apparently sign in to Plex everytime I select it off the TV menu, I would do it if it could find the HomeRun Connect box, which it can't, near as I can tell. There too, I following the indirections which say to go to Plex, select Settings, then DVR, but 'DVR' is not a setting under settings.

I don't want to record anything, don't want to watch TV on my iPhone, MacBook or PC...I just want to see the content coming in from my antenna. I do have an Apple TV somewhere in the house--haven't seen it in several years, but I can probably find it if that will solve my problem for more than one TV.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Watching Live TV on a...TV

Post by NedS » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:49 am

The purpose of an HDHomeRun device is to make live TV accessible to devices and software on your home computer network, of which smart TVs are just one possible option. That being said, we are attempting to support as many smart TV platforms as possible with our full featured official app, and we already support:
  • Sony (Android TV)
  • Hisense (Android TV and Roku)
  • TCL (Android TV and Roku)
  • Philips (Android TV)
  • Sharp (Android TV and Roku)
  • Toshiba (Fire TV)
  • Insignia (Fire TV)
  • Westinghouse (Android TV, Fire TV, and Roku)
  • Element (Fire TV and Roku)
  • Sceptre (Android TV)
  • RCA (Roku)
  • Hitachi (Roku)
  • Skyworth (Android TV)
We also support stand alone Android TV and Fire TV streaming devices, and the Xbox One.

We also support DLNA/UPnP playback that works with more smart TVs if all you need is a basic channel list and viewing live TV, including Samsung and LG smart TVs.

The HDHomeRun hardware can also be used with platforms that support Channels (app), Plex, Emby, Jellyfin, Kodi, MrMC, VLC, and many more.

If the smart TVs that you have are not one of the ones mentioned, or the third party software is not something you want to use, then the most budget friendly option would be to wait for a sale on a MiBox from Walmart (around $35 is a common sale price) or a Fire TV 4k stick (also around $35 sale price).

jseymour

Post by jseymour » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:27 am

flemingkr wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:01 pm
So, can someone tell me in plain language what I need to do in order to watch live, broadcast TV that is coming in from my antenna thru the Connect box, to the televisions I have that are on my wi-fi network? Do I really have to get an Apple TV or other similar box for each television I have? That sort of defeats my whole purpose of the Connect box.
The best way, IMO, is either SD's own app or the Channels app. Note that the latter isn't free unless you also have one of their DVR subscriptions, and SD doesn't have an app for Apple's tvOS yet.

Either your TV has to have a compatible operating system, that can load and install the apps, or you have to have a separate streaming device you plug into one of the TV's HDMI ports. The least expensive such device is Amazon's non-4k Fire TV stick.
flemingkr wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:01 pm
I do have an Apple TV somewhere in the house--haven't seen it in several years, but I can probably find it if that will solve my problem for more than one TV.
That won't even solve your problem for one TV, being as you need at least a 3rd-generation Apple TV to have downloadable/installable apps. And, as I noted, above: SD's app, which is free, isn't available for Apple's tvOS, yet, anyway. So, even if you do have at least a 3rd Gen. ATV, you'd have to pay for Channels' app.

The SD HDHR Connect network tuners merely put two or four OTA TV channels on your network. You have to have something on your network the "talk to" the tuner over your network, to receive the data streams and control the tuner.

flemingkr

Post by flemingkr » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:24 am

Thanks for the extreme patience everyone. I think I'm getting it now, finally. If marketing materials aren't very explicit and are not in a language I'm familiar with, it's a LOT of googling to pick up the bits and pieces. I dislike dealing with LG tv interface to begin with, so putting that thing out in the shed and replacing it isn't out of the question. This is going to work out just fine, and thanks for the help and again, for the patience.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:45 pm

Does your house not have coax cabling? For live TV, you should be able to connect the coax antenna feed directly to the TVs. Most TVs still have tuners in them.

flemingkr

Post by flemingkr » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:44 pm

Great question--yes, I have coax to two or three locations...unfortunately I don't need it in one of those locations, and the tv has no coax connector in another. But my goal at this point, having seen what the HomeRun box does, is to continue going even
more wireless--with NO cables of any kind to any of the TVs...except power of course.

DirecTV and ATT wireless both get cancelled tomorrow--I couldn't be more thrilled!