No Tuner For Basic Cable?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
silver

No Tuner For Basic Cable?

Post by silver » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:48 am

Is there no HDHR tuner that will find the same channels as any of our TV sets that have no set top boxes nor cable cards involved?

I have two HDHR4-2US Connect tuners that no longer find most cable channels in my setup. I'm a snowbird who moves every six months and this year when returning to the winter home, very few of the standard cable (no boxes nor cable cards involved), channels were found. The TV sets find 60+ channels but just a few are found using BeyondTV4 with the HDHR tuners.

I know the cable TV provider made a bunch of changes to the lineup and associated channel numbers because I had to re-scan the TV sets to find them again. In looking at the HDHR comparison screen for the various products available, the only mention of Cable TV is with a cable card - which I don't have nor need. The wall antennae I installed finds most channels but NBC is sketchy and I miss some recordings as a result.

I'm in a controlled Homeowner's Association community where cable TV is included in the HOA fees and external TV antennae (other than a dish) is not allowed.

Suggestions?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: No Tuner For Basic Cable?

Post by signcarver » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:04 pm

if it is analog channels then no as SD's tuners require a digital signal (any HD channel the tv picks up would be digital, as analog is only SD, it used to be "easy" to tell in the US that if the number is dotted (i.e 5.1) it is digital, and if not dotted (i.e. 5) it would be analog but these days there are providers that use whole numbers with clear qam so one can't just state that a non-dotted number is indeed analog- also outside the US regular virtual channel numbers are often not dotted).

If it is digital cable (us clear qam) then any of the (us) tuners typically work but there are other things that can prevent SD's software from working well with it such as guide data won't be possible if psip does not provide both number and name, if a number isn't available it would be assigned a "random" number in the 5000s to possibly work for live but if more than one tuner device it is possible that what is 5001 on one device might be 5002 on another device thus why it is considered "random" though typically would usually remain the same number on the same device.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:40 pm

When I go through the channels on a TV it shows the network name and channel number (NBC 15.2 for example) and it does this for all the channels I am interested in - basically the four major networks + PBS. All are digital even though analog is also available. All three TVs in the home find these digital cable channels but not the HDHR Connect tuners. Maybe the issue is with BeyondTV4 which is the software used to scan the channels?

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:55 pm

What happens when you scan from the device not beyondtv (it's been too many years since I looked at clear qam on BTV but I seem to recall I had to set most up manually)

silver

Post by silver » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:14 pm

Frankly, I don't know how to scan cable without using BeyondTV. Last year I had no issues and just used BTV only. Something changed and I thought it was the cable company changing their channel numbers around and maybe getting rid of QAM channels. It just seemed to me that if any TV set can tune the digital channels the HDHR tuner should as well. Maybe I need to find a replacement for BeyondTV4 since it is no longer supported - although their guide is still updated and is very user friendly.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 pm

Go to the device's web page... specifically its channel lineup page and click detect channels (you may need to change antenna to cable). For most it is easiest to go to my.hdhomerun.com and click on the number of channels to get to that page but you may have yours set up so the tuner doesn't have internet access)

To get btv to work, rather than running the scan directly on the device, i suggest doing the scan from hdhomerun setup (from the full windows software package) but as I stated, i am pretty sure when i had btv, i had to set most of my clear qam channels up manually.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:22 am

silver wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:48 am
I'm in a controlled Homeowner's Association community where cable TV is included in the HOA fees and external TV antennae (other than a dish) is not allowed.
Just a heads up about this specifically, it's illegal for the HOA to stop you from installing a TV antenna: https://www.channelmaster.com/your-hoa- ... -a/379.htm

silver

Post by silver » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:48 am

Thanks Neds, good to know but don't want to go down that road, especially since we are stuck with paying for cable via the HOA fees.

silver

Post by silver » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:25 pm

signcarver wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 pm
Go to the device's web page... specifically its channel lineup page and click detect channels (you may need to change antenna to cable). For most it is easiest to go to my.hdhomerun.com and click on the number of channels to get to that page but you may have yours set up so the tuner doesn't have internet access)

To get btv to work, rather than running the scan directly on the device, i suggest doing the scan from hdhomerun setup (from the full windows software package) but as I stated, i am pretty sure when i had btv, i had to set most of my clear qam channels up manually.
OK, so using the HDHR Config GUI I went through the painfully slow process of finding and viewing each channel it found. 70+ viewable which included some analog and mostly digital channels. Also found a bunch of encrypted channels which are not viewable - as expected. Apparently the HDHR Connect tuners will capture the cable channels so my issue must be with the BeyondTV4 setup wizard. When I run that setup wizard it only finds 15 channels, all but two are of no interest.

Guess my next step is to figure out how to manually add channels to the BeyondTV program guide without going through the setup wizard.