Can the App Detect HomeRun Connect w/No Antenna?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
flemingkr

Can the App Detect HomeRun Connect w/No Antenna?

Post by flemingkr » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:20 pm

I don't have my antenna connected to the HomeRun Connect box yet, but do have the box plugged in to my router and powered up. The router software finds the HomeRun device, displaying it's MAC address, etc. But, when I fire up the HD HomeRun app on my iPhone, it instantly comes back with the 'No devices detected' window. Just wondering if this expected, before I start looking for problems. Thanks.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Can the App Detect HomeRun Connect w/No Antenna?

Post by NedS » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:54 am

That's normal. You should be able to see the HDHomeRun by going to http://my.hdhomerun.com .

flemingkr

Post by flemingkr » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:38 pm

No, nothing. The Connect is plugged directly into a NetGear R7000 wireless router. I do notice the port light on the router is orange rather than white, but again, the NetGear app shows it, reports its name, IP address and MAC address, which I've verified from the tag on the Connect box. I take it the Connect box is itself a web server--is there any way to pulse it to determine if the web server itself has started or failed startup, etc. I am not wise in the ways of these devices, but I can probably do some basic diagnostics beyond power off/on...I think. Maybe read a troubleshooting FAQ would be one place for me to start :D

flemingkr

Post by flemingkr » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:26 pm

Worked just fine from my phone.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:19 am

flemingkr wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:38 pm
No, nothing. The Connect is plugged directly into a NetGear R7000 wireless router. I do notice the port light on the router is orange rather than white, but again, the NetGear app shows it, reports its name, IP address and MAC address, which I've verified from the tag on the Connect box. I take it the Connect box is itself a web server--is there any way to pulse it to determine if the web server itself has started or failed startup, etc. I am not wise in the ways of these devices, but I can probably do some basic diagnostics beyond power off/on...I think. Maybe read a troubleshooting FAQ would be one place for me to start :D
Go to the IP address in your web browser to see if anything loads there. For example, if it has an IP address of 10.0.0.34, go to http://10.0.0.34

flemingkr

Post by flemingkr » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:19 pm

It's fine, always was. There's nothing you can do to fix stupid. I've been using my work machine because my personal laptop is damaged. Work machine is always on VPN...and therefore can't get outside that VPN. As is so often the case, this was just a User malfunction.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:33 pm

flemingkr wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:19 pm
Work machine is always on VPN...and therefore can't get outside that VPN.
Well, it may depend on the VPN solution. Some VPN solutions enable defined prefixes to bypass the VPN tunnel, although there are environments where that is not allowed even when technically possible (due to regulatory or company policies).

flemingkr

Post by flemingkr » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:49 pm

I didn't know that--may explain why "I swear" I was able to print to my personal networked printer once, long ago, but have never been able to since. Seems every month or so things get snugged-up tighter.

So, in retrospect, it looks like I was suffering from two unrelated problems--trying to see the HomeRun failed due to the first problem (trying to connect to it from inside the VPN), and it failed due to a second problem (which I still don't understand), which is that it was plugged directly into a port on the wireless router. When I instead plug it into a port on one of the mesh nodes, no problem. This bit I don't get, but I can take that up with NetGear...maybe it has to do with how the router assigns addresses to new devices, and to do with what it considers a 'new' device. Most of this stuff is pretty much magic to me--Power On, Power Off and Baseball Bat are the three tools I'd prefer to use with most computer-related problems.

JDazell

Post by JDazell » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:57 pm

The Mesh nodes are on a separate network from the Netgear Router ethernet ports. That is why you could not connect. I suggest that you set a 5 or 8 port unmanaged switch (TP-Link sells a 5port for $20). Take the ethernet out on the mesh to the switch and make all other device cable connections to the Mesh. The only device connected to the Netgear router should be the Primary Mesh Node.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:25 am

flemingkr wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:49 pm
I didn't know that--may explain why "I swear" I was able to print to my personal networked printer once, long ago, but have never been able to since.  Seems every month or so things get snugged-up tighter.
The more progressive companies have moved (or are moving) towards zero trust approaches and capabilities, such as perhaps first widely published in the "BeyondCorp" presentations, which eliminates certain candy metaphor (hard crunchy outside, soft chewy inside) security approaches used in the past, but not all companies are forward looking and their approaches tend to embrace the hard shell (lock things down; and if in doubt, lock down tighter).

In the general case, for the average user, one should presume that if one uses something like a VPN the local network ecosystem may not be available, or not reliable (and the HDHR solution is not immune from that limitation), even while VPNs can work for some of the people some of the time. I do not recall seeing a FAQ entry somewhere in any of the usual places saying that, but if not, there should be something added with VPN in the title somewhere (in SD's copious free time to improve the user documentation) so that people are appropriately informed.

flemingkr

Post by flemingkr » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:13 pm

JDazell wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:57 pm
The Mesh nodes are on a separate network from the Netgear Router ethernet ports. That is why you could not connect. I suggest that you set a 5 or 8 port unmanaged switch (TP-Link sells a 5port for $20). Take the ethernet out on the mesh to the switch and make all other device cable connections to the Mesh. The only device connected to the Netgear router should be the Primary Mesh Node.
Yet another concept that would never have occurred to me (there are many). I have an 8-port Linksys SE3008 laying around doing nothing right now I'll connect 'er in. I may be able to tidy up the closet at the same time. Thanks!