HDHomeRun Duo & Quatro: Internal Preamps?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jasonl

Re: HDHomeRun Duo & Quatro: Internal Preamps?

Post by jasonl » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:38 pm

You would use both the LTE filter and the amp. The issues you see with overload aren't necessarily because the TV signals are too strong, but more likely because the combination of TV+FM radio+LTE signals is too strong. If you eliminate the LTE signals, that lowers the combined amount of power going in, and means you're much less likely to overload, even though the TV/FM signals are stronger than they were without the amp.

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:56 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:38 pm
You would use both the LTE filter and the amp. The issues you see with overload aren't necessarily because the TV signals are too strong, but more likely because the combination of TV+FM radio+LTE signals is too strong. If you eliminate the LTE signals, that lowers the combined amount of power going in, and means you're much less likely to overload, even though the TV/FM signals are stronger than they were without the amp.
As I mentioned, the amp that came with the antenna has such a LTE filter in it. It is a 15db amp.
With the amp in place, I have a several channels that all 3 stats in the HDHR tuner say 100% but break up alot.
Remove amp, and they are fine, with stats that are 95 to 100% for all 3....so, amp over powers those.
The tower less than 10 miles from me for those stations.

jasonl

Post by jasonl » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:28 pm

Does it specifically indicate that it blocks the 700MHz band? Because most don't. They build one model and send it out to the whole world. The problem with this is that most of the rest of the world is way behind the US when it comes to clearing space for mobile service. The US cleared the 800MHz band in 1983 when channels 70-83 were removed from service. Then we cleared the 700MHz band in 2 phases, with full-power stations clearing out in 2009, and low-power stations being eliminated no later than the end of 2011 (though many got the boot sooner because cell providers could kick them off sooner if they wanted), and 600MHz will be cleared nationwide as of July 4. The UK cleared 800MHz in 2012 when they finished shutting off analog TV, and will clear 700MHz by the end of 2022. Brazil has only cleared 700MHz in the last 2 years. Random Chinese antenna maker can't put a 700MHz LTE filter in their antenna unless they plan to make multiple different models to ship to different parts of the world, because it will block TV services in countries that aren't as far along.

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:03 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:28 pm
Does it specifically indicate that it blocks the 700MHz band? Because most don't. They build one model and send it out to the whole world. The problem with this is that most of the rest of the world is way behind the US when it comes to clearing space for mobile service. The US cleared the 800MHz band in 1983 when channels 70-83 were removed from service. Then we cleared the 700MHz band in 2 phases, with full-power stations clearing out in 2009, and low-power stations being eliminated no later than the end of 2011 (though many got the boot sooner because cell providers could kick them off sooner if they wanted), and 600MHz will be cleared nationwide as of July 4. The UK cleared 800MHz in 2012 when they finished shutting off analog TV, and will clear 700MHz by the end of 2022. Brazil has only cleared 700MHz in the last 2 years. Random Chinese antenna maker can't put a 700MHz LTE filter in their antenna unless they plan to make multiple different models to ship to different parts of the world, because it will block TV services in countries that aren't as far along.
From the Mohu website : "Antenna amplifier with CleanPeak™ RF filter technology: most sophisticated amplifier on the market that removes unwanted RF signals and boosts the ones you want"

Seems pretty clear to me that means it filters things like LTE.

The only thing on the box under specs just says "Pre-amp: 15db (nominal)

The Channel Master LTE filter says Blocks: 600 - 2000 MHz
https://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Antenn ... m-3201.htm

There are channels that are just under 600mhz, but not sure how precise that filter would be.

Do u know of a good up to date site where one can put in their address and get the full correct specs of all the OTA channels and their frequencies?

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:14 pm

I just order that CM LTE filter on Amazon for $20....was free ship and i had $20 gift card anyways....

Ill give it a try.
Does this need to go closest to the antenna? or would right at the HDHR input be fine?
The coax run is only about ~20 feet or so.

jasonl

Post by jasonl » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:58 am

The filter can be installed anywhere along the way.

jseymour

Post by jseymour » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:58 am

I would install the LTE filter right in front of the HDHR tuner. My thinking being that way it'll also filter-out anything that may arrive via the coax, itself--though that would probably be very little, if any.

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:27 pm

jseymour wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:58 am
I would install the LTE filter right in front of the HDHR tuner. My thinking being that way it'll also filter-out anything that may arrive via the coax, itself--though that would probably be very little, if any.
My thoughts exactly :ugeek:

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:43 pm

speedingcheetah wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:03 pm
Do u know of a good up to date site where one can put in their address and get the full correct specs of all the OTA channels and their frequencies?
RabbitEars keeps as up-to-date as possible. On the main page, select "Signal Search Map" which gives a map of the US and lets you zoom in and move a pointer to your location. The results show your area stations' directions, distances and signal strengths, among other things. Click on a station to get more info about it, then on "Technical Data" to get even more.

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:44 am

ebo wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:43 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:03 pm
RabbitEars keeps as up-to-date as possible. On the main page, select "Signal Search Map" which gives a map of the US and lets you zoom in and move a pointer to your location. The results show your area stations' directions, distances and signal strengths, among other things. Click on a station to get more info about it, then on "Technical Data" to get even more.
Thanks. That does look like a useful site for information.

I did get the CM LTE Filter yesterday.

I had first thought it was causing issues with the 33- channels, as they all were pixelating and buffering alot...
But when i later removed the filter, they still did that, even on a portable tv and backup antenna setup i have for testing.
The channels report 88/100/100 for the 3 stats in the tuner, so signal is not the issue, they didnt have issues before, but it must be a issue with the stations them selves data stream. Not sure how to go about reporting that.

Other than that, cant tell any difference with the LTE filter added.