Scribe Duo Does Not Record

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
dnickason

Scribe Duo Does Not Record

Post by dnickason » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:55 pm

We have a Scribe Duo that does not record, although it seems to be functioning normally otherwise. We can watch live TV, scroll the guide in Discover (on the PC app), and even schedule recordings, but nothing gets recorded.

This morning at 10:45 AM, I went to Discover and selected a show starting at 11 AM. I set it to record the show, and looked in Tasks, where I can see that it's set to record the show today at 11. A few minutes after 11, I can see in the DVR status that there are no active recordings, although the show plays as expected in the PC app. Going into the app, there's a red dot on the show in Discover, so it apparently thinks it's recording, but the show doesn't appear at all in Discover. In Tasks, I can confirm that there were no other shows set to record at that time, so it's not a matter of being out of tuners. In Settings, it shows that the DVR function is active.

Not sure if it's related or not, but often, a Fire Stick on the same wired network can't find the Scribe, giving a "device not found" or similar error message.

Other than power cycling the Scribe, which doesn't have any effect, I can't think of any way to troubleshoot this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jasonl

Re: Scribe Duo Does Not Record

Post by jasonl » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:05 pm

Please go to http://my.hdhomerun.com/ and click on the device ID for your SCRIBE, then System Status, and check the Send diagnostic information box. Reboot the SCRIBE, then try to record something. Reply back with the device ID for the SCRIBE and we will check the logs.

dnickason

Post by dnickason » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Thanks. The device ID is 15101D84. I checked the box to send the information, and it's set to record a half-hour show at 6:30 PM Eastern (25 minutes from now).

jasonl

Post by jasonl » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:36 pm

Please download and install the latest beta software from https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/downloads#beta_software on a Windows or Mac computer (this will update the firmware on the device to the latest) and then schedule something else.

dnickason

Post by dnickason » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:14 pm

Well, this is a little embarrassing. I updated to the beta firmware, and when going into the web interface to verify that the Scribe was reporting the new firmware level, I noticed that it was out of free space. Someone had configured it to record an hour-long news show every morning, and never deleted any of the old ones.

It would be nice if the software would alert to low free space. It seems to act exactly the same whether it's full or empty, except when full, it allows you to select something to record, but then doesn't record it. Also, maybe the diagnostic information could report available space.

Anyway, it's working now - thanks very much for the assistance.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:29 pm

This is where you have the option of adding a HDHomeRun SERVIO... that will triple your storage space.

Nick