Getting the install software to see my unraid server

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ctviggen

Getting the install software to see my unraid server

Post by ctviggen » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:13 am

I have an unraid server on my network. When I go to perform the NAS installation, the install program does not find the server. Why is this? That is, is there something the install program is looking for that my NAS is not "outputting"?

Alternatively, I currently have the install program mapped to an extra drive in my computer. Could I simply map the NAS drive/directory I use for recorded TV to Windows and use the mapped drive instead?

Note that this alternative option is not a great one, as Windows often has a hard time with these mapped drives and unraid in my system. I haven't yet figured out why that is (it's on my list of things to do...). This means if I reboot the computer, there might be an issue (temporarily) connecting to the mapped drive.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Getting the install software to see my unraid server

Post by signcarver » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:55 am

The NAS install option on the windows setup requires detection via upnp... for most this means turning on/installing a dlna server... personally i suggest not using the installer and doing a manual install.

The dvr engine must store on the machine the engine runs on as though there are ways to trick it, one would soon encounter an issue of it not picking up newly recorded/added shows or removing deleted shows.

ctviggen

Re: Getting the install software to see my unraid server

Post by ctviggen » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:21 am

Thanks. Not many people must do this (combine HD Homerun and Unraid), as I don't see many references to this when doing a search. I see the manual install instructions, and I'll try that. There's also a docker that might work. I'll report back if I get something that works.