Using mapped Freenas drive for DVR recordings

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
CWC

Using mapped Freenas drive for DVR recordings

Post by CWC » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:56 am

I recently added a Freenas box to my home network. I am NOT an expert at this, but got it working and now I have 4TB of mirrored storage as windows drive Z:

I'm able to easily read and write to this drive, back up to it, etc.

But when I try to convince my HDhomerun installer to use it as the storage for recordings it says: Error: A network drive cannot be used for DVR recordings.

Why this limitation? I've been using a USB drive connected to my main PC with no problems, however, I'd like to have the security of writing to my NAS and also it's FAR faster than the usb drive.

The ""NAS Install" button does not find my NAS. There is a silicon dust page on installing freenas, but it's blank.

Any help would be appreciated.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Using mapped Freenas drive for DVR recordings

Post by signcarver » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:13 am

You would run the engine directly on the FreeNAS box, not on a windows machine storing remotely.

Part of the reasoning is how they determine files are there as after the initial start of the engine and indexing the current files, they rely 100% on the OS notifying the engine on directory changes and typically a network share would reach a resource limit of such notification rather quickly.

For a device to be discovered for a NAS install, it must be detected by upnp which typically is achieved by having a dlna server running on it. However, since FreeNAS is FreeBSD based, you wouldn't install it with the windows installer as that requires the nas to be linux based (at least last I checked). What you would do is manually install the FreeBSD version of the engine.

CWC

Post by CWC » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:49 am

Thanks for the reply. This led me to find this link on how to install on linux: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:linux

It seems to have instructions for freenas, but either they are wrong or I'm doing it wrong ( a distinct possibility.) For example, I use the freenas web interface and run the Shell. This brings up a dos-like black box. I type in MD Hdhomerun like it says on the page of instructions. It says "Unknown command." I look up linux commands and it's MKDIR to make a directory. Next it wants a "CD" command (change directory, I guess), but it also doesn't recognize that.

So, do you know of any instructions on how to do this?

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:53 am

CWC wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:49 am
So, do you know of any instructions on how to do this?
The instructions you linked to seem to be correct. Maybe you misread the mkdir command?
Commands are case-sensitive. The "CD" command won't do anything but "cd" should work.
Directories and filenames are also case-sensitive. A directory named "Hdhomerun" is not the same as one named "HDHomeRun."