Can't use HDHR locally on Nvidia Shield TV

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
drunken_prozac

Can't use HDHR locally on Nvidia Shield TV

Post by drunken_prozac » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:55 am

Hi All,

I have my HDHR plugged into a dumb switch, which in turn is connected to my router. My Nvidia Shield TV is also connected to this same dumb switch but my ISP has been having issues recently. When I lose internet connection I am unable to use my HDHR on the Shield.
I can still access all my SMB shares, can ping all the devices across my own internal network, but the HDHR just won't play ball.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction so if I lose internet connectivity I can still watch TV OTA?

Many thanks

Darren

gowgn

Re: Can't use HDHR locally on Nvidia Shield TV

Post by gowgn » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:16 pm

Yah, I woke up to a dead Internet connection this morning and discovered the Windows 10 HDHomeRun app doesn't work either.

However, there's always this
viewtopic.php?f=125&t=16449

drunken_prozac

Post by drunken_prozac » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:58 pm

Thanks.

I have the shield TV set up so it's easy for the wife and kids to use all media in one place, Netflix, Amazon, Kodi, live TV etc. The VLC trick I can do but they can't.
3 times recently they haven't been able to watch any TV due to our ISP being down even though the hdhr is locally available.

There must be a way for hdhr to load without TV channel guides and such for when the internet is unavailable, I must be missing something somewhere?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:14 pm

No, IIRC, SD's new app requires internet access, as SD hosts the UI portion on their servers. Therefore, it won't load the interface if it can't download from their servers.

If you need offline viewing, you need to find a different app.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:27 am

We are working on an improved offline mode so that the app will still function without an internet connection, but in the meantime VLC should auto-discover and work with live TV. Use the UPnP network source and you should see the HDHomeRun show up there.

drunken_prozac

Post by drunken_prozac » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:02 am

NedS wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:27 am
We are working on an improved offline mode so that the app will still function without an internet connection, but in the meantime VLC should auto-discover and work with live TV. Use the UPnP network source and you should see the HDHomeRun show up there.
Thank you for this, I look forward to the update. I will try the VLC trick and see what I can do