ion not coming in

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mcp

ion not coming in

Post by mcp » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:54 pm

I live in the East Bay of San Francisco. Even though my channel lineup shows ion and other channels in that spectrum, I can't pull it in. I'm using a DIY antenna inside. I have not had any problems before only recently. Is this because of work that is currently being conducted on the Sutro Tower?
Should I expect more problems as channels are repacked?
Any suggestions or solutions are welcome.
MCP

EddieP

Re: ion not coming in

Post by EddieP » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:22 pm

mcp wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:54 pm
I live in the East Bay of San Francisco. Even though my channel lineup shows ion and other channels in that spectrum, I can't pull it in. I'm using a DIY antenna inside. I have not had any problems before only recently. Is this because of work that is currently being conducted on the Sutro Tower?
MCP
When they did a repack in my area I had to do a rescan of channels on my OTA tuners.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:26 pm

mcp wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:54 pm
KKPX (ION) is actually on the San Bruno tower. But I am pretty sure work is happening there too, as KKPX is changing frequencies, as is (I believe) KNTV and KCNZ.
There will be adjustments. In theory, all you will need to do is a rescan after the work is complete, but details always matter.
The only suggestion is patience. The work requires using backup transmission facilities and/or lower power, in order to do the work safely, and is scheduled to end by 5/1 (if no unexpected issues occur).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:21 pm

KKPX is running at 36.3kW on an interim antenna lower down the tower, compared to 1000kW on their previous signal, so they can replace their antenna. Their coverage is significantly reduced, especially for people who are using indoor antennas or don't have perfect line of sight. East Bay, it looks like anything back in the hills, particularly around Castro Valley and Hayward, sees the biggest declines.

mcp

Post by mcp » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:21 pm

Thanks for all the help. I have done a rescan of all channels, but that hasn't helped. But I am using an indoor antenna and do live in the East Bay just south of Hayward so that must be the issue.
As I lost it just a few days ago it must be due to there reducing their broadcast strength.

Thanks,
MCP

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:49 pm

mcp wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:21 pm
Thanks for all the help. I have done a rescan of all channels, but that hasn't helped.
A rescan will not help until the various channels do their actual channel frequency cutovers, which, unfortunately, may happen over an extended period (some of the changes are considered linked flash changes, and some can be done when the work is ready after the window opens). Most of the OTA channels have, on their home website pages, warnings and notices, and you will be well advised to check them regularly (and especially if you have new issues accessing the channels).

mcp

Post by mcp » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:53 pm

gtb wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:49 pm
mcp wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:21 pm
Thanks for all the help. I have done a rescan of all channels, but that hasn't helped.
A rescan will not help until the various channels do their actual channel frequency cutovers, which, unfortunately, may happen over an extended period (some of the changes are considered linked flash changes, and some can be done when the work is ready after the window opens). Most of the OTA channels have, on their home website pages, warnings and notices, and you will be well advised to check them regularly (and especially if you have new issues accessing the channels).

Good Idea. Thanks