HDHomeRun Prime - Possible to watch TV when channels have DRM?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Hobbieman

HDHomeRun Prime - Possible to watch TV when channels have DRM?

Post by Hobbieman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:40 pm

Hi,

I just switched back to cable, dusted off the HDHomeRun Prime and found out that Spectrum Cable uses DRM on 99% of the channels that I have on my TV package.

So, am I now not able to watch TV through the HDHomeRun anymore then? My TVs have DLNA players built-in and can see the HDHomeRun available on the LAN...

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHomeRun Prime - Possible to watch TV when channels have DRM?

Post by signcarver » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

What make/model tv's as many do support drm through their dlna mechanisms, though many don't (i.e. for samsungs it should have started with their K series, I haven't kept up with sony for awhile as they have had and not supported dtcp-ip through dlna through the years but most of today's sony's run android tv which will run the android app that supports drm (android required a "certified" device). Also windows 10/xbox one and iOS will support drm content in the hdhomerun app. Only WMC (windows 7/8) can (currently) record drm protected channels. see https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... d_channels

In some cases, particularly with moto cards, the card might not be properly validated thus can't decode drm channels, so make sure the card is properly paired. (I say primarily with moto cards as typically the issue is the data id changing by the reset signal sent when they pair the card... cisco cards don't have such data id and unlike the moto card would usually have issues with all encrypted channels whether there is DRM protection on them or not if the card isn't paired correctly)

The boxes most use for DRM on a TV (if tv doesn't natively support such) are Shield, Xbox One, Jetstream 4k, and MiBox (S and the previous 4k us model- both were supposedly walmart exclusives at least for awhile... they also have non-US international versions that my understanding often don't work with DRM)

Hobbieman

Post by Hobbieman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:50 pm

@signcarver: Thanks! That was a very thorough and clear response!

The TVs (LG and Samsung) I have are older and it appears don't support DRM. They both play the open channels just fine. But for DRM channels, one just says "file type not supported" and the other just says can't play this file or something like that. :-(

I also tried the HDHomeRun app on the Roku devices but it is not working at all for DRM channels and quite poorly for the open channels! :-( For those open channels which do "tune", I can see the video but the audio played back is the "descriptive" audio, so it is quite annoying...

@SiliconDust: any plans to have DRM support on the HDHomeRun application on the Roku devices?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm

For all practical purposes, it wouldn't be up to SD to support such... roku would need to support dtcp-ip (which I don't see happening anytime soon).