HDHR3-US reception problems, didn't use to be a problem

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
JGATKINSN

HDHR3-US reception problems, didn't use to be a problem

Post by JGATKINSN » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:51 pm

I don't know what has changed but now I can't receive most HD channels particularly lives sports on Fox, NBC, or CBS. I haven't been watching TV for a while, but everything was fine a few months ago while DVR (MythTV) setup was running(it's been working for years!). Now I'm trying to use the HD HomeRun app on two different computers, and I can't get the NFL games on it without horrible pixelation. It's basically unwatchable. I've installed the latest HD HomeRun software for my two Windows 10 boxes and it did update the firmware on the device.

Any advice would be appreciated.

GlowingBlueMist

Re: HDHR3-US reception problems, didn't use to be a problem

Post by GlowingBlueMist » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:14 pm

Why are stations moving? Congress authorized the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) – the agency that governs the public airwaves – to hold an auction to provide more channels for wireless broadband services. Now that the auction is complete, the FCC is requiring nearly 1,000 TV stations to change frequencies. Many were allowed to take until some time in 2020 to make the changes and your stations might have finally made the adjustments and appearing to now be "missing" from their old frequencies/channels.

You might be able to fix things by ordering your TV to re-scan for the channels but you may also need to move your antenna around, much like people used to do with rabbit ear antennas to get a clean signal.
Some people need two antennas aimed in different directions with both antennas feeding into the TV using a cable TV style splitter in reverse. This is much like the old UHF and VHF antennas were connected together to one antenna feed.

Try the following station locating guides below and see where the stations are located on the map .

https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html
https://otadtv.com/
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Hopefully someone else will jump in with better ideas.

JGATKINSN

Post by JGATKINSN » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:37 am

Rescan didn't help.

I'll look into getting another antenna. I did try moving it around in the window where it normally sits, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I might still have my splitter from my original setup of TV tuner cards.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:05 pm

Try another power supply. The first sign of a supply starting to go bad is that the reception will get worse. The supply needs to be exactly 5V and at least 1A.

JGATKINSN

Post by JGATKINSN » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:07 pm

I'll check that out as well.